Yokohama AVID Ascend GT

a longer video. Returned under the 30 day test drive program. These tires had an awful vibrations above 60mph. I was shocked to be able to see the out of round condition.

Last edited:
I had them on my 2010 Accord for 10k miles, before I sold it to my neighbor, and loved them. He's retired and does Uber. They are just now running out of tread at 87k miles. Mind you I'm in the NYC area so lot's of stop and go as opposed to highway.

Never had a problem in NE slush and ice with mine once they were broken in. The first 200 miles they were a lttle loose in rain tractionwise.

Last edited:
I had them on my 2010 Accord for 10k miles, before I sold it to my neighbor, and loved them. He's retired and does Uber. They are just now running out of tread at 87k miles. Mind you I'm in the NYC area so lot's of stop and go as opposed to highway.
Originally Posted by madRiver
Pure generalization but my experience with Yokohama tires 3 times over. Absolutely terrible in snow/winter conditions however everywhere else really decent for the price. No idea if your parts of New Mexico gets snow/winter conditions enough to care.

Never had a problem in NE slush and ice with mine once they were broken in. The first 200 miles they were a lttle loose in rain tractionwise.

Originally Posted by Jp267

No you didn't.

These are new from Yokohama and different tires, introduced less than a year ago. The old Avid Ascend are discontinued and were not V rated touring tires. These GTs are new and totally different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Originally Posted by Jp267

No you didn't.

These are new from Yokohama and different tires, introduced less than a year ago. The old Avid Ascend are discontinued and were not V rated touring tires. These GTs are new and totally different.

You're right. I went back and checked the sidewall when he was home. My apologies for the confusion.

Any type tire can have this defect. New RAM 1500 two Goodyears were over 1/4" out of round. Force road balanced twice. Finally they were warranted. Truck still shook. New Michelin LTX 2's fixed it.

Sorry to revive this thread. I'm thinking about buying these tires based on consistently favorable test results, but having looked at the tread I'm concerned about the lateral grooves going down to only 4/16 or so.

How does the tire evacuate water once it's worn below that point? Yokohama is calling that an "adaptive solder" in their marketing material, but unlike the sipes and blocks in not seeing the structures that will change as the tires wear.

I’m looking at those for my next set of tires. I want to try out something else besides Michelin Defender T+H/X Tour AS.

Back