Yet another rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the bumper sticker one is going to get shut down before long...

You know what gets me? When people mispell my name! I mean, if you're responding to one of my emails, it's right there! Often in several spots (from, signature, and sometimes other places). I don't care how the Irish spell it--you're wrong!

Deep breath... it's only a name, multiple ways to spell it... It's only a vendor, looking for business... yeah right!

I get called "Steve" all the time. I have no idea why. Even after being introduced by my actual name.
I must look like a "Steve".

Try having a non-english name in a state like South Carolina. Frustrating does not describe it.

I've even been asked if I spoke English, after having carried on a short conversation with the person. My response was "yes, I was born here, and unlike you I have a college degree, and my English is far better than yours". The dumb country bumpkin of a receptionist got all offended and went off crying somewhere. I thought that was an odd question from someone who sounded like their parents just might be first cousins. Einstein was right, "common Sense" is a misnomer, for sure!

Last edited:
There was someone I worked with that is French and would always incorrectly misspell my name the French way.

I'm not French.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I get called "Steve" all the time. I have no idea why. Even after being introduced by my actual name.
I must look like a "Steve".

No problem, I am almost certain I have been called Andrew once somewhere!

Like my Dad used to say: "Call me whatever you like, but CALL ME!"

How about 'gauge? for some reason people always spell it 'guage'

How do you pronounce that, 'goo-age'?

This is funny...my name is often misspelt "Joy Tigger" (I'm a guy but that's not what's funny)...

...and then coincidentally when I went to Japan my name there became "Joyful Tiger"....not every Japanese got the pun (though did when I pointed to Japan Tobacco's logo "Joyful Time" and I wrote my name) but it brought a smile to them when they saw it (there are endless possibilities of puns in Japanese) and then said it back to me...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 29662
Try having a non-english name in a state like South Carolina. Frustrating does not describe it.

I've even been asked if I spoke English, after having carried on a short conversation with the person. My response was "yes, I was born here, and unlike you I have a college degree, and my English is far better than yours". The dumb country bumpkin of a receptionist got all offended and went off crying somewhere. I thought that was an odd question from someone who sounded like their parents just might be first cousins.

I get frustrated with the South's accent too. But they was a bit hurtful, I can understand being offended by someone insulting your first language. But if the first cards you pull are "well, I was born here and am a college graduate". How many people have you met with those credentials that can't count, spell, or type for there life?

Secretaries and receptionists REALLY need to up there game, if they don't want there jobs taken by Siri.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
There was someone I worked with that is French and would always incorrectly misspell my name the French way.

I'm not French.

I'm not French either....
Pronounce my last name, "Luuuuuscheirrreeee"
See, now I'm French
grin.gif

.....are you in an area where French transplants make up a good part of the population?

Bonjour, fromage manger singes capitulards!
Vive la révolution!

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: racer12306

I'm not French.

I'm not French either....
Pronounce my last name, "Luuuuuscheirrreeee"
See, now I'm French
grin.gif

.....are you in an area where French transplants make up a good part of the population?

Bonjour, fromage manger singes capitulards!
Vive la révolution!

Not that I know of, I work in Baltimore. I just work with a couple of French speaking Africans.

My last name is five letters, everybody calls me by my last name. Have for years. It's on my email, and when I had uniform shirts it was even on there. People still get it wrong on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back