Yet another Maxlife ATF thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 700 miles ago, I extracted 1.5 gallons of ATF from the F150's transmission and replaced it with Maxlife. I have noticed some "gear whine" for lack of a better term especailly when the truck is cold after the change. Is this any cause for concern? Reading a few threads on here, it appears Maxlife is thinner than the orginal Mercon fluid... Should I replace it with a "true" Dex/Merc fluid? Let me know what you think.

Also, several hundred miles ago I also replaced 1.5 gallons of ATF with Maxlife in my dad's 296K mile Buick that calls for Dexron III. It seems to being doing fine but I haven't driven it much since the new fluid.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
From what I've read here about ATF, some people add a bottle of AT conditioner when they change out the transmission fluid.

It seems to have helped their transmissions run quiet and smooth. I'm sure someone will post the name of the additive that is used.

I drained and flushed my ATF during the summer and replaced it with Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Lubegard!
smile.gif

I've found that Maxlife provides excellent Maxlife. I've used Maxlife for years, and it's always a superior Maxlife compared to the factory fill Maxlife. Your best choice is obviously Maxlife. It's the Maxlife of all Maxlife!

I had maxlife in 2 separate vehicles, an 04 Tacoma and 97 Rodeo, I didn't care for the shift quality in either one.

Went back to Castrol Import ATF for both....both are quiet and shift great.

Just a hunch here, while looking at all the newer specs that Maxlife is formulated to meet, I'd say that by nature it would perform best in newer vehicles engineered in the past decade. A '97 Rodeo is old tech, as well as the '04 Tacoma ... its mechanical components date back to at least the late-90's. My car was engineered around 2002/2003 or so, built in late 2005, and Maxlife performs much better than the OEM transmission fluid in that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back