Yesterdays project, window glazing.

We have the original single pane windows in our 1959 ranch. A few months back I noticed some of the glazing on a window at the back of the house was in horrible shape. Then last week another window succumbed to glaze failure.

I had zero previous experience with this so I had to start researching from scratch. Didn’t even know it was called “glazing”.

Anyway, hardly a professional job! But much much better than the failing glaze I removed. I’ll paint after the recommended dry time of 5+ weeks.

Excuse the dirty windows and siding. That is also on my list of things to do.

7D10D69F-AF96-42B1-A71A-68E487D2320E.jpeg
EDBCA93A-33DB-4BAD-905F-0D4CA61B311D.jpeg
D92607F5-8856-44EF-AEFD-964F988A67A8.jpeg

Surprised the house still has single pain windows. But than again, you might need to live there a long time before energy star rated replacement windows would pay themselves back. Homes with single pane windows let much more outside noise in.

If you're handy, you can install new construction windows which are cheaper if you have common sizing and know what you're doing.

Surprised the house still has single pain windows. But than again, you might need to live there a long time before energy star rated replacement windows would pay themselves back. Homes with single pane windows let much more outside noise in.

If you're handy, you can install new construction windows which are cheaper if you have common sizing and know what you're doing.
That has been my thought as well. In the time it takes to recoup the money spent on new windows in energy savings, you will need new windows again. It is no where in the budget to replace them anyway. Besides that, we like the look.

Original windows from 1950 in my home too. Only one has some major glazing chipping issues, going to replace it soon. It's a big window, like $3k just for that one. The rest of the windows can wait.

We had 34 puttied windows in our house in Winnipeg. My wife puttied them as part of our general restoration. She said that by the time she was done puttying and painting them all (along with storm windows for each one of course) it was time to start at the beginning again.

She got really good at the puttying.

The house looked great after years of work but, being Winnipeg, was worth very little more when we left after 6 years.

We had 34 puttied windows in our house in Winnipeg. My wife puttied them as part of our general restoration. She said that by the time she was done puttying and painting them all (along with storm windows for each one of course) it was time to start at the beginning again.

The house looked great after years of work but, being Winnipeg, was worth very little more when we left after 6 years.
That’s a lot of windows. I’d assume the putty holds up for a decade or two at least.

That’s a lot of windows. I’d assume the putty holds up for a decade or two at least.
When you completely re-putty and paint them it does hold up. But there's a temptation to leave some of the old putty which may be well on its way. In any case, they needed painting at least quite regularly. With that many windows, my wife got really good at the puttying/repainting cycle.

And by the way, I'm not down on puttied windows. In fact I kind of like them. Window glass can be cut to any size and shape so there's no "custom order" question. You can do a very nice job with putty and paint and puttied window glass can be replaced quite easily, quickly and at very low cost. Perfect for a neighbourhood where kids play ball in the street and a broken window can be replaced without taking out a second mortgage.

That’s a lot of windows. I’d assume the putty holds up for at least a decade or two.

Back