Yesterday was Sky Maint. day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's car, 2008 Saturn Sky 2.4L manual, 30,000 miles, oil change, tire rotation. Found the positive battery terminal corroded, fixed that. We bought it new. 1st GM car that I didn't know the service advisor on a 1st name basis. Only issue I know of is Left side mirror adjustment stopped working. Need to troubleshoot to see if it's the switch or the actuator. The actuator has been discontinued by GM (thanks). If the reliability of this soon to be 8 year old car continues to be good, we'll keep it. A little concerned about parts availability from GM after seeing the mirror actuator being discontinued. The car is lifted at the jack points (modified corvette) using the correct jack pucks that engage the frame holes.

IMG_0824_zpsdgkh6t9e.jpg

I wouldn't expect you would see many problems with only 30K. As for the actuator, I think by law companies have to make parts for at least 10 years.

My 91 BMW still has all parts still available according to local part Mgr.

It's pretty disappointing that GM has discontinued parts already on a 7 year old car.

Nice car and garage.

That actuator may not be unique to the Sky. No doubt there are many shared parts with other GM models, especially a Pontiac Solstice. Check out EBay for "recycled" parts. If the actuator is anything like the many on my Honda Odyssey they can be taken apart and cleaned up. I have brought 3 back to life by doing that, just make sure you take a few photos of exactly how the moving parts are positioned before disassembly.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It's pretty disappointing that GM has discontinued parts already on a 7 year old car.

Nice car and garage.

Old GM. Not new GM Try making the old GM do anything.

Rod

Wonder if there's any aftermarket companies that either clone parts or keep nos parts for your car? There's places that stockpile tons of nos Nissan parts and upgraded aftermarket clones for my 300ZX.

SWEET looking Sky by the way! I always loved those cars.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I wouldn't expect you would see many problems with only 30K. As for the actuator, I think by law companies have to make parts for at least 10 years.

My 91 BMW still has all parts still available according to local part Mgr.

By law,they only have to keep parts for the terms of the original warranty.If its 3/36K warranty,they can dump the parts anytime after the 3 years is up.....
Makes one want to run out and drop 40K on a new rig that's obsolete before the payments are up....

My 88 K has little problem accessing genuine Mopar parts,but obviously not thru the normal Chrysler dealer channels (with some exceptions).Many sellers though have stocks of NOS Chrysler parts from the 80s...mostly with the exceptions of interior trim and weatherstrips.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
As for the actuator, I think by law companies have to make parts for at least 10 years.

No such law. When GM and Chrysler declared bankruptcy it put a lot of the smaller vendors out of business along with a lot of the parts they supply.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
My 88 K has little problem accessing genuine Mopar parts,but obviously not thru the normal Chrysler dealer channels (with some exceptions).Many sellers though have stocks of NOS Chrysler parts from the 80s...mostly with the exceptions of interior trim and weatherstrips.

How many K cars got sold vs this model? I'm not sure how many of either got sold, but pretty sure one out sold the other.

Yep, 4 identical floor jacks, a poor mans lift.
Thanks for the compliments, The garage is 28 X 36, I should have built it bigger. The 2nd bay is behind the roll-up. Nice in the winter, I only heat the working side. I'll have to check out the actuator out further.

Oh yea, the oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 and an AC PF457G (I think I remember that filter P/N correctly)
Tires are down to 3/16 - 5/32 so about ready for tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back