Yes yes more Upper Cylinder Lubricant questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

this has been talked many times over sure, however i believe my use case is different.
Jetski Rotax 1500cc supercharged 300hp gas engine. So ridding in salt water and no matter what there is always some water sucked into the intake. (salt water injestion).
I am using Lucas UCL lubricant in my gas so far for extra protection from the salt. Would it be better to use a very low ratio of two stroke oil in the gas or something else to protect the engine even better?
Thanks guys and best regards from an expat in Greece.

What does the ucl do to counteract salt?
My thought is that valves, seats and cylinders will have an extra layer of protection from salt. I would believe that the salt water flash boils and leaves the salt behind.. so for during operation and after shut down

I think TCW-3 would be of some benefit. IMO it would leave a thin residual oil film in the combustion chamber during operation, and especially after shut down of the engine. That IMO would be of some benefit. My brother has been tweaking gas with it or MMO in his 4 stroke boats for over 40 years of boat ownership. TCW-3 would probably be the better choice. We've pulled heads a few times and always saw traces of residual oil in areas of concern. I've also seen heads pulled from engines with untreated gas on occasion have flash rusting in the cylinders, although a few didn't, but usually those boat engines the owners claimed burnt oil.

I think TCW-3 would be of some benefit. IMO it would leave a thin residual oil film in the combustion chamber during operation, and especially after shut down of the engine. That IMO would be of some benefit. My brother has been tweaking gas with it or MMO in his 4 stroke boats for over 40 years of boat ownership. TCW-3 would probably be the better choice. We've pulled heads a few times and always saw traces of residual oil in areas of concern. I've also seen heads pulled from engines with untreated gas on occasion have flash rusting in the cylinders, although a few didn't, but usually those boat engines the owners claimed burnt oil.
Cool thanks for the advice. I can get Amsoil HP MARINE 2-Stroke here that is TCW-3 approved i believe..
perhaps a 100:1 ratio?

Cool thanks for the advice. I can get Amsoil HP MARINE 2-Stroke here that is TCW-3 approved i believe..
perhaps a 100:1 ratio?
IIRC he was adding about 6-8 ounces to 10 gallons of gas and not fouling plugs. 100:1 might foul plugs, you can test it though. He uses Super Tech TCW-3 oil.

Nowadays some people are mixing TCW3 at 640:1 for their 4-stroke engines, which is 1 oz oil in 5 gallons gas. IMHO 100:1 (gas: oil) will be too much for a 4-cycle engine. 100:1 is 6.4 oz in 5 gallons gas. Maybe it doesn't sound like that much, but I think at that concentration you are going to gunk something up if you run it for a while.

I'm wondering how 640:1 would work for DI engines. Would it be good for the high pressure spray of fuel onto the cylinder walls of a DI engine?

I use that ratio as a winter storage blend for ope.

This additive, has some tall-oil, which is used in lacquers and coatings to form a protective film.

It is formulated for DI engines(no mention of marine use), as per the manufacturer and should protect against corrosion.
I have a port injected engine that uses LPG(gas just on warmups, using double dose) and it did smooth things a bit.
Have done too little miles to do a write-up.
But it costs 8$ to treat 500 liters of fuel and could be available in Greece(is in next door Bulgaria), so worth a shot.
1:1000 mixing ratio.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how 640:1 would work for DI engines. Would it be good for the high pressure spray of fuel onto the cylinder walls of a DI engine?

I use that ratio as a winter storage blend for ope.
I do not use 640: 1 ratio in my DI engine - more like 960:1 is where the gas mileage improves .

I do not use 640: 1 ratio in my DI engine - more like 960:1 is where the gas mileage improves .
I was thinking more about cylinder lubrication i.e. the high pressure spray washing down the walls. Would 960:1 lube? Not concerned with fuel mileage.

If the product you're asking about actually did what you're claiming/hoping for, Lucas would be shouting it from the rafters.

It's a tenuous performance claim when even Lucas doesn't promote to product per your thought process.

How come no OEMs recommend its use?
Are you really smarter than them?
Really?!?

Last edited:
IIRC he was adding about 6-8 ounces to 10 gallons of gas and not fouling plugs. 100:1 might foul plugs, you can test it though. He uses Super Tech TCW-3 oil.
I have run 40 to 1 in my Honda mowers when I was too lazy to get gas and ran out while the wife cutting the lawn. There was no problems other that the wife saying the exhause smelled funny. Why would the plugs foul ?

I have run 40 to 1 in my Honda mowers when I was too lazy to get gas and ran out while the wife cutting the lawn. There was no problems other that the wife saying the exhause smelled funny. Why would the plugs foul ?
I said "might" foul plugs. Truth is a 4 stroke engine was not designed to run 2 cycle oil, so there's always a slight chance. Especially in engines with plugs that have been in service for a long time, or when you're using strong doses of TCW3 in a 4 stroke for a long time. IIRC the guys using TCW3 or dosing somewhere in the area of 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas netting a 640:1 ratio. I've gone heavier than that from time to time as well without issue. I also fouled a plug in an old mower trying to burn up excess fuel for my chainsaw. I didn't want the fuel sitting around which had a 32:1 mix which. It was also diluted with gas the mower already had in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back