YES, the Paint is THIS Chalky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step-Daughter is borrowing her Cousin's '96 Corolla for the Summer.

It's as dull & chalky as can be. We're gonna shine this puppy up before she gives it back.

Here's a pic of where I did a small spot with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound & Surf City Garage Carnauba Wax.

Notice that even the rectangular place I did has an out-of-focus look to it.....

vcyqom.jpg

What would you guys do to this thing??
smile.gif

How much time do you want to spend getting this paint to shine?
Being a '96 Corolla and the paint being that oxydized, if you keep rubbing, you may not have any paint remaining when you're done.

I'd stay with what you're doing and finish the rest of the car and call it a day! It'll look better when her Cousin gets the car back!
smile.gif

Has this car been repainted? That doesn't look like a clearcoat paint job. Generally clears don't chalk up like that. Instead they peel. If the paint has peeled the clear you could be down to the color coat. Plishing that could end up damaging it. If it has been repainted with single stage it was likely done on the cheap like a Maaco special and the paint is quite thin. I would recommend only a finish polish like M205 vs anything heavy which could thin the paint.

Ultimate Polish followed by your favorite wax.

Maybe polish the headlights if they need it, plus the usual spiffing - vacuum the carpets and upholstery, shine the tires, wipe the door jambs, APC the plastics, and an air freshener.

Originally Posted By: Turk

What would you guys do to this thing??
smile.gif

I sure wouldn't be wasting time trying to polish a Toyota that's nearly 2 decades old, fairly neglected, and owned by someone else.

I think giving the car back waxed is a nice thank you. I wouldn't work too hard, but ultimate compound and then wax looks like it's doing the job.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I think giving the car back waxed is a nice thank you. I wouldn't work too hard, but ultimate compound and then wax looks like it's doing the job.

Yes, and a full tank of gas with a recent oil/filter change
smile.gif

It might be single stage - do a test.

With that much oxidation, rotary/wool and rocks in a bottle is probably the first step.

My video post was meant to add humor. I would like to add that returning a borrowed item in better condition than it was loaned is the mark of a truly aware individual.

Hats off to you! I fully support, and have practiced, that philosophy.

Yes.

Part of why is that I want to show my 19 YO Step-Daughter
how to Polish & Wax a car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It might be single stage - do a test.

With that much oxidation, rotary/wool and rocks in a bottle is probably the first step.

Not if it's a 2 decade old neglected possibly aftermarket cheapy one coat respray. At that point you don't know what you're getting into. Even with a paint thickness gauge you could be on the very bottom of a respray and if you break through to the original paint you'll end up causing the respray to start peeling where you broke through.

Or even worse this is original paint that's had all its clear peeled off and it's down to the color coat. That's what I'd be scared of.

I'm going to stick with a light application of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, followed
up by one of my quality waxes.

I'll demonstrate to her how to use my 6" Griot's Garage DA/RO with the compound,
then let her use it to apply the wax.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I sure wouldn't be wasting time trying to polish a Toyota that's nearly 2 decades old, fairly neglected, and owned by someone else.

Says the person who goes about bragging over refurbishing decades old yard equipment.

+1. Despite what some say, returning a vehicle borrowed for that long in nicer condition is the right thing to do. It's a harder situation since the car isn't great to begin with, but alas, that's why someone is willing to lend it out.

Personally, I'd go with a cleaning wax with a little cut, perhaps even nufinish, and see how that works. If a week before return time it still doesn't look great, I'd try a gentle two or three step process, like a compound, polish and wax approach. Probably a fresh oil change, maybe an air filter, and a full tank of gas with some cleaner would be nice.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. Despite what some say, returning a vehicle borrowed for that long in nicer condition is the right thing to do. It's a harder situation since the car isn't great to begin with, but alas, that's why someone is willing to lend it out.

Yes, I want to teach my Step-Daughter this; I believe it is very important.

Also want to teach her how to care for paint correctly.

No one else is going to teach her these things, it's up to me.

How did it turn out?

Plus I thought the factory paint job was single stage/no clear coat since it's white.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

How did it turn out?

Plus I thought the factory paint job was single stage/no clear coat since it's white.

We haven't got to it yet, but it's gotta be soon as she needs to give the car back.

She better not say "I'm too busy" & not make time for it....
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back