Yes or No run delvac in a V-twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run Amsoil in my bike for years. Well last year I did about 600 miles on my bike. My second child is due any day. If I do 600-1000 miles this summer it will be alot. I feel like I am throwing money away using Amsoil. After reading so many threads I think Delvac would be fine. I am in NJ. What would you do? 2001 Hertage softail it now has 20k I bought it new.

I too feel like i was throwing away money on syn oil and there are many down here in Texas that use only a diesel oil in there HD's all year round with no issues,many with 100+K on them.

Your engine takes 3 quarts of oil? How much are you saving? I would run the Amsoil and not change the filter with 1000 miles. Just dump the crankcase & refill. I use redline shockproof heavy in my trans and run it 2-3 years or 20,000 miles. I also use redline MTL/MT90 mix in the primary and run it 5000 or 2 years. If you have amsoil 20w50 in the primary with 600 miles on it go another year or two. Use the SVG in the trans and at your mileage I would leave it in there at least 3 years. Just check it for water intrusion. Synthetics will actually save you time & money if you run them their intended life. Since there are no combustion by products in your trans or primary they will go a long time. I know a couple of guys who run Mobil1 gear oil 5 years in their transmissions with no issues.

So if it were my bike with that mileage the annual oil change would be dumping the engine and refilling. My TC88 takes 2.5 quarts with a filter on a wet change so your may only need 2 quarts if you don't change the filter. Your engine won't know the difference.

Last edited:
I've had delvac in my bike for a couple of hundred miles now and its doing great. The bike shifts nicely, better then rotella, and no foaming on a combined engine/transmission design. The clutch engages without any slipping. So far its not showing consumption issues like the rotella either. Delvac seems like a quality oil. I'd say go for it. I don't think you will have any probs.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. The bike takes 3.5 qts.. the Amsoil is $11 a qt here the Delvac is $11 a gallon. My Trans has BelRay Gear Saver 85-140 Hyphoid and the Primary has Rotella Those I just changed last week. it's like $30 cheaper to run Delvac I am going to do it. If the Bike Blows up I will let every one know..

yes

but after you run the amsoil some more. As long as you are running it long enough to burn off condensation and fuel you will be fine with the amsoil

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Thanks fellas. The bike takes 3.5 qts.. the Amsoil is $11 a qt here the Delvac is $11 a gallon. My Trans has BelRay Gear Saver 85-140 Hyphoid and the Primary has Rotella Those I just changed last week. it's like $30 cheaper to run Delvac I am going to do it. If the Bike Blows up I will let every one know..
I've run Belray EXS in my bike before and its probably my favorite oil, but at 7 dollars a quart its over twice the price of Mobil.

In both our XL600's (big Thumpers that are air cooled), we run 15w40 Delvac 1300 and those bikes love that stuff. They run and shift very smoothly. These bikes can run very hot in the summer when trail riding, but I am very confident in the oil to protect.

I would also run that oil in my V-Twin, VStrom....but I am doing extended OCI's of 5k-6k and using Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back