Yes changed to QSUD, but old oil smelled like black gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
after 5,122 miles. Not just a faint smell but a strong strong smell.

I drive 70-80% highway and fast. I've left the oil in up 8K on previous OCI's and yesterday's old oil smelled exactly like it. 2 UOA's said 3 and 5% respectively (Blackstone). Oil does appear to be more watery on dipstick and sometimes oil is a little higher on dipstick and other times the car uses oil. So confusing.

Again this is a Lexus IS250 with 170k. This car was Toyota's first shot at DI. So I'm wondering out loud am I handling this oil thing the best I can?

Also, contemplating moving to a Euro 5w40 oil might help.

Last edited:
What was the viscosity on the uoa?

3 to 5% fuel is pretty high and since it's a blackstone report, it's most likely even higher than that.

You mentioned you previously did some longer OCI's. I'd never go more than 5k regardless of which oil you choose.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Maybe it's not the oil. How about the injectors?

+1 I would check the injectors first before worrying about weights...

Originally Posted by slug_bug
You mentioned you previously did some longer OCI's. I'd never go more than 5k regardless of which oil you choose.

That is just plain silliness, with no factual evidence to back it up

I would cut this next OCI to 4K. Now that's really not silly at all. The evidence is in the smell.
Who wants bad fuel smell in their oil? No UOA evidence needed, when the smell is that bad.
If Linckie likes 3-5% fuel in his oil, then that's fine also. No thanks!

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by slug_bug

That is just plain silliness, with no factual evidence to back it up

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back