Yellow Flames In The Gas Oven Next To Igniter.

As you can see, the flame is a nice blue except around the igniter where there is a lot of yellow. Is that normal? It is a Wolf natural gas range.

I tried different settings on the air shutter adjustment and it did not lessen the yellow around the igniter.
Gas Oven Igniter.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Check for debris blocking the holes in the burner. I have seen cast iron burners with the holes partially clogged with rust produce a yellow flame. The yellow flame indicates incomplete combustion and carbon monoxide, so get it fixed.

It is a cast iron burner and it got replaced along with the igniter when the igniter failed. Pattern failure on Wolf ranges, the burner tube corrodes next to the igniter, guessing from the heat generated by the igniter.

The burner holes convey the gas air mixture, not just air. So the gas/ air ratio will stay the same with partially blocked holes, so I don't see why it would generate yellow flames. Air comes in at the inlet to the burner tube.

The mixture inside the burner tube is too rich to burn. The mixing of gas and air is a two stage process. First, primary air enters through the air shutters. Then this primary rich mixture has to come out of the burner holes with proper velocity to mix with additional (secondary) air from the room, then it will burn with a blue flame. If it sort of weeps out due to a blockage, it burns yellow. If it all comes out at once due to a hole being corroded out, it burns yellow. Which as noted means it's making a lot of CO. A properly operating gas oven tends to make an unhealthy amount of indoor air pollution anyway, so definitely do not operate it like this.

You seem to be trying to argue there must be a solution other than remove / inspect / clean the burner, but that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
The mixture inside the burner tube is too rich to burn. The mixing of gas and air is a two stage process. First, primary air enters through the air shutters. Then this primary rich mixture has to come out of the burner holes with proper velocity to mix with additional (secondary) air from the room, then it will burn with a blue flame. If it sort of weeps out due to a blockage, it burns yellow. If it all comes out at once due to a hole being corroded out, it burns yellow.
That makes sense, I did not think about the extra air mixing in after the mixture exits the burner tube.

As I mentioned the burner tube is a new genuine Wolf product. I did give it a quick lookover before I installed it and did not notice anything unusual. Of course I was not specifically examining the burner holes. I will pull the tube off and take a close look.

As you can see, the flame is a nice blue except around the igniter where there is a lot of yellow. Is that normal? It is a Wolf natural gas range.

I tried different settings on the air shutter adjustment and it did not lessen the yellow around the igniter.
View attachment 124627
The left side of the burner toward the end seems to be lifting off which would be too much primary air. Not sure I like the design of the ignitor location. As to CO a detector is always recommended especially in modern construction.

Back