Yellow color valvoline ?? Help needed with oil leak....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading somewhere valvoline makes oils in different colors. Bottom of the oil pan area is showing leaks, but not sure where it is coming from. Car is at 149 K miles, but has not used HM oil before. Here is my plan to find out where the leak is coming from ...... Need comments....
  • Get engine area professionally pressure (water/steam) cleaned.
  • Change oil (possibly with a colored high mileage oil)
  • Follow instructions at Popular mechanics Finding Oil leaks and add dye.
  • Check bottom of engine for every 500 miles, since leak is not dripping to floor.

Will the colored oil help, if i choose NOT to use the dye mentioned in the article. Note that engine compartment will be clean from wash anyways. Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
I would just use fluorescent dye, it's what I've always used in my dealership days and after. It works great especially if you clean the area off beforehand. Buy a good UV light though, the money you save by doing it yourself (in lieu of paying diagnostic and repair charge) will afford you to buy a very nice dye light. This is mine;

The UV part is very bright. The cheaper UV lights almost require a completely dark shop to use. They are very dim. The Fluke unit is switchable from UV to LED flashlight to laser pointer by clicking the switch. I love it.

8C80A697-C13F-4789-9F32-73C112811DBF.png

Last edited:
69 Torino, thanks. Looked into it. It is only 49 lumen brightness. Are you able to see engine oil leak in a brightly lit garage space ? Do you use yellow goggles or they are not required ? (if i use a dye)

I may be the odd ball here but unless you plan on doing all the work yourself, it would be much simpler and probably cheaper to take it to a local reputable garage and have them give you an estimate on fixing your oil leak.

If its the oil pan or main seals are you going to do it yourself?

Never heard of colored oil. Like everyone else said, get the dye and add it to the oil. How much oil are you using if it's not hitting the floor?

Did you check the oil pan bolts? Maybe they are loose. Snug them up and clean the area as best you can before adding the dye.

Last edited:
Yes, this leak is in a 2008 Civic LX (1.8L) engine. Oil level is not dropping noticeably in the dipstick, and i have never had to top up oil so far. Even the dealership guys around here are not trustworthy, and if i take it to anyone and say "oil leak needs fix" - i have gotten estimates as much as $3800 to fix various things in car. No, i do not plan on doing it myself, but i believe in being an educated consumer, who can understand what a technician is talking about, when i walk into the dealership or a reputed shop, requesting service.

Thanks for the suggestions, i will tighten up the oil pan nuts and change washer etc next time around. Is there any way to protect all the hoses in engine compartment with a spray or such, before they all need change (causing major money pit owning this car) ?? I have not done anything as preventive maintenance other than oil/air/filter/tires/brakes etc..... Perhaps i should have thought of the hoses well before 150 k miles ?? Too late to save this car for another 50 k miles ?

How about drain the oil and use duct tape and hook your shop air to the dip stick hole. About 20PSI should do it then spray the areas with soap bubbles. Like finding a nail in a tire.

should probably plug your PCV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back