Yeehah, finally found some GC 0W30, but now I have a dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They only had 6 qts and my sump hold 6.9 qts. I'm due for a change now so should I......
1 - Top off with some US Castrol 0W30?
2 - Top off with some Amsoil 0W30?
3 - Top off with some M1 0W30?
4 - Just fill it with the usual Amsoil 0W30 for now and wait until next OCI (~2 months) to find another qt of GC?

Darn, I really wanted to try this stuff.

I know some people might disagree with me, but I say to just put in the 6qts, and see if you can find another quart in the next week, then if you still can't, top it up with something else then (my vote would go to Amsoil 0w30)

With 6 out of 7qts, you're still probably in good shape, at least for a short period of time.

Or better yet, how about just waiting one more week to do the oil change, and see if you can locate more of it before then?

Or, perhaps someone on this board who lives close to you might step up to the plate and give you one of their extra quarts?

Patman, I've been looking for months for this stuff. I was travelling on business today and passed a different Autozone so stopped in and found these 6. No telling when I'll find another. I'm leaving on a 700 mile road trip tomorrow and wanted to change before then. Maybe I should just use 6 qts for now and then stop at every Autozone on my way to Pittsburgh
grin.gif

I had this very problem. I found 6 quarts easily but need 6 1/2 for a change. I was considering using some USA Castrol 0W-30 but finally called enough Autozone stores to find the last quart I needed.

I agree with Patman. Someone close by should help a brother out and loan you a quart...

John, I am about 50 miles away in Hazleton area. My friend travels to Harrisburg during the week and I can send down a quart or two if you wanted. I only paid $4, but you can give me an extra buck so I can replace it, fair enough? If I had to pick an oil to run with GC in winter...gosh darn-it, how about some SAE 30 ND non-detergent oil? If pressed maybe some 5w-50 who knows? Let me know if you want the GC next week.

Thanks TSoA, but I'm not going to have much time en-route to stop off in Harrisburg. Guess I'll just fill up with the Amsoil; it's done pretty well for me so it's not like I'm hurting anything.

Pa John two weeks ago or so they had the stuff at the Autozone on 422 just before you get into Lebanon (on the right side of the road). I believe there is an other Autozone down the road a bit further also. So if you live in West Reading its probably about a 50 minute ride.
smile.gif

But failing that I would go with the American Made 0W-30 for the extra quart . I would have a problem running at less than a full sump-but that's just me.
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ November 24, 2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Reading how hard it is to get the GC in some places in the States is just crazy. I mean it's the USA, home of free enterprize, get anything you want if you have the cash etc.

Up here in the true North, every Canadian Tire and WalMart has lots of GC on the shelf. Plus the added bonus, you get a litre in stead of a quart.

Oh, Canada.
canada.gif

Well I just finished filling with the Amsoil. The GC will have to wait a couple of months until I find one more lousy quart.
Thanks Al, I may swing by Lebanon on my way back.
cheers.gif

Sorry Bernhard, Canada is a little too far north for me
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bernhardschau:
Reading how hard it is to get the GC in some places in the States is just crazy. I mean it's the USA, home of free enterprize, get anything you want if you have the cash etc.

Up here in the true North, every Canadian Tire and WalMart has lots of GC on the shelf. Plus the added bonus, you get a litre in stead of a quart.

Oh, Canada.
canada.gif

Our trouble is getting people to buy the old stock first. They won't get the German stuff in until they clear out all the dusty old bottles of the Made in USA variety. That could literally take years...
frown.gif

I'd run the Amsoil for another interval and during the time you are using it you should be able to find a good supply of the GC.

Switching from one oil to another every change isn't the way to go. If you want to try GC plan on at least 3 oil changes with it.

HOPEFULLY...the powers that be at Castrol will realize the GC sells and the A1 rated domestic 0w-30 is fossilizing on the shelves. I can find it now by going to maybe 2 AutoZones max. When I first went looking I hit 5 stores to come up with 1 quart.
rolleyes.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

PaJohn, too bad you have to leave so soon, my cousin from Reading PA is coming to NYC for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend and he would have been happy to bring a quart of GC back to Reading for you...

Two weeks ago, I put GC into my '02 SAAB 9-5 Aero and the engine feels much smoother and stronger than on M1 0W-40... by the butt dynamometer it feels like I picked up 5 hp.

On the highway today, I was surprised that my car could outrun an Infiniti G35 coupe!

burnout.gif

Now that winter is on it's way, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the old 0w30 stock starts disappearing and if new stuff appears. It still surprises me how my local Walmart will restock with German stuff, even though there are still a few dusty bottles of the older 0w30, a couple of which are at least 5yrs old (much older bottle design)

These stores should mark down the dusty old stuff to half price to get rid of them. Nobody is buying them now, so they are getting $0 for them.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

These stores should mark down the dusty old stuff to half price to get rid of them. Nobody is buying them now, so they are getting $0 for them.

All they notice is what UPC sells. The trouble is, the UPC's are the same on the old and new. I bought one quart of the old stuff at one Autozone and went to another to exchange it when I found out they had the new stuff. The guy scanned them and said "These are the same thing." I had to point out the differences to him.

PaJohn,
I think you have answered your own question.

Why would you even consider using an oil , or for that matter any other important product, whose continuing availability is questionable.

I understand your desire.
I drive 40 kilometers out of my way to purchase my Mobil 1 0w-40, but in my case I know what I am getting and it is available.

This whole GC business reminds me of my mentors words, " Any publicity is good publicity"

Unless you can get a good quantity stashed away for future use, my suggestion is find a comparable product.

Good luck,

PaJohn,

Are you going to have the stuff you just drained analyzed, just so that we can see another mindblowing UOA? Amsoil 0w-30, was it?

grin.gif

[ November 26, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

Thanks everyone. Just got back from my trip and found an unopened case of 6 at an AZ in Meadville. So now I have 12 qts!!
grin.gif

Quattro Pete, no UOA this time on the Amsoil 0W30. Figured three in a row was enough for now. Maybe have one done on the GC when that's run for 5k. But I will testing the Acura MDX soon with M1 0W30 with 4k on it. Last report wasn't that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back