Year round oil for my Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone for all the great info that I have got here over the past few months.

A while back, we bought a Hyundai Santa Fe (2.7L). I started out running 10w-30 dino and then switched to 10w-30 M1. The engine was noisy with the M1, and with the 100K warranty, I figured I needed to change my oil every 3750 miles like the manual suggests. So, I went back to Pennzoil 10w-30 (I have always ran Penn even when everyone was telling me that it was bad oil. It's all my family has ever run as long as I can remember and we have never had any problems. Once I found this site and found out that Pennzoil is one of the best, I feel even better!).

Now for my question: I live in Dallas, TX, and want to pick an oil weight that I can run year round. The manual suggests, for my climate, 10w-30, 10w-40, or 10w-50. I've never seen 10w-50! Would it be better to run the 10w-40 over the 10w-30? I have read things in the past about 10w-40 causing deposits and sludge because of the viscosity improvers (or something like that). Is that true of the newer 10w-40's? Another thing that is funny is it says to run an energy conserving oil right after listing those grades...the only one of those that is EC is 10w-30? That is why I picked it.

Any thoughts?
dunno.gif

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Well since you are changing at frequent intervals the 10W-40 will hold up just fine-I believe. During the summer months in Texas you could use the heavier oil or you could mix the two together to get a little higher viscosity.

I'm sure lots of folks would not want to do this- but as long as the brand is the same, its not gonna hurt. Pennzoil is a fine choice.

I am not a big fan of 10w40 conventionals, so if it were me, then I would go with a good 10w30...........maybe even pennzoil HM, if I wanted a little higher viscosity. A 10w40 conventional will shear to a 30 very quickly anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
A 10w40 conventional will shear to a 30 very quickly anyway.

If LC was added to 10w-40, would the oil then retain it's viscosity? I have several quarts of Chevron 10w-40, but I'm hesitant to use them after some people on this board suggest not to use them due to the reason you mention.

10W40 is better than what it used to be however in your situation I feel regular Chevron/Havoline 10W30 is fine all year long.

BTW I use Havoline 10W40 in a 79 320i,starts pretty good in the past mornings with temps down to the mid 20's.Much better than 20W50.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
A 10w40 conventional will shear to a 30 very quickly anyway.

If LC was added to 10w-40, would the oil then retain it's viscosity? I have several quarts of Chevron 10w-40, but I'm hesitant to use them after some people on this board suggest not to use them due to the reason you mention.

Well, LC will control oxidation, but oxidation doesn't cause the oil to shear down in weight. That question needs to be asked to terry or mola, as they have done extensive testing on LC. I Have used LC, and it doesn't seem to stop the oil from shearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back