YB or PP for "smoothness" & more ques???

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st vehicle:

Stepdad's '08 Liberty 3.7L...broken in on the OEM dino for 3k, then switched to M-1 sliver cap 5w20 for 1st oil change interval of 6k. Time to change the oil soon and am considering 2 things:

1.) switching from 5w20 to 5w30. Any issue with this?
2.) switching from M-1 to a Pennsoil product but not sure which is best choice. PP or YB? He wants a 6k interval and 80% of driving is in-town.
3.) Would YB be the "smoother" choice since I read about many motors with syn engines not running as nice as on dino
4.) Pending a decision, would YB be okay foir 6k in town or is that the deciding factor and PP is much better for these OCI & conditions?
comments & answers please...refer to this as "vehicle A"

2nd vehicle:

G/F's G6 GXP 3.6L bought with 15k & 5w30 dino in crank case all its life so far. Currently 17k on the ticker and at at 18k it is time to change the oil. I have decided to put in a Pennsoil product and she would like to go 5 or 6k OCI, Keep in mind this GXP is a higher output engine, but dino was still FF:

1.) Would YB be the smoother choice or is PP better since it is a HP motor
2.) Should I run 10w30 or 5w30 in this vehicle?
3.) If I do run YB, can she go 5-6k on it 80% HWY driving

refer to this as vehicle B

comments & input please...sry this is so long but I need this info soon.

My intution is telling be to do PP 5w30 for 6k on vehicle A and PP 5w30 for 5k on vehcile B...

PP for 6k would be a great choice, especially if you can find it on sale. YB should do that oci without problem also.

As for smoothness, the only time I noticed a difference between brands was when I tried 5w20 gtx in my crv a couple of years ago. It was smooth as butter...
wink.gif

A quality syn or dino will do 6k nicely.

5W-30 will be fine. But for 6k runs, mostly city driving( vehicle A), I think PP is the better choice. I'm not really saying YB won't do it, but I like to factor in some "fudge mileage" when I do this kind of thing. There very well could be a time when you can't/don't change the oil right at 6k, and with the YB you're not leaving yourself any wiggle room, whereas with the PP you could safely go to 8-10k with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back