Yaris Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota's new Yaris may be a nice little car, but I don't think I could live with the speedometer location.
confused.gif

It does, however, make it easier for your spouse to keep an eye on your speed!
shocked.gif

-
 -
 -

I don't get this new configuration.
I can't imagine that the gauge cluster in the center is safer or easier to read, but maybe I'm too old?

Scott

This is the speedometer configuration on the Echo as well, I happen to own one and like it. It does take getting used to. I think it is safer, looking laterally and just a little bit down.

I read somewhere that the overall amount of parts is lessened for building a RHD.

I looked @ the Yaris and thought the gauge readibilty was poor

I personally don't like ceneter gauges, I have driven the Z8 on a number of occasions and didn't enjoying having to look to the side to see the tach. Also who styled that steering wheel?? Reminds me of the front of a Edsel...and the seats look horribly flat! I will pass...I'm interested in checking out the Nissan Versa using a Renault platform.

I can't stand guages like that. I won't buy anything with center guages. How can it be safer? Guages directly in front of me never obstruct my view, the hood is above it on most cars.

Makes sense its easier to make it RHD, but that's not my problem.

When we were looking at cars when I bought my Corolla, we looked at the ION.

Same dash setup.

Wife HATED it..
thumbsdown.gif

Guess who did not buy a ION!
twak.gif

I could get used to it, but did not get the chance to.

Got the Corolla instead.. (and glad too since it get much better MPG!)
fruit.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Yeah -- I don't know why some manufacturers continue to do this? That's the only carry-over from the Echo -- which should HAVE NOT carried over. Otherwise, pictures of the sedan look pretty good. This is also the same reason why I wouldn't buy an Ion, Quest, xA, Mini, etc..

You know who's gonna love the central gauge cluster? It's of course the homies who drive all tilted with their upper body and head right in the middle of the car, between the front seats. I never figured out why they do that. Is it because they fiddle with the radio all the time or do their baggy pants bunch up and chafe uncomfortably?

Mori,

You forgot the slouch factor that seems to be part of that whole image.

My theory about moving to the middle is because they also slouch way down in their seats, and they slouch so low that the steering wheel gets in the way of their view. They can slouch and extra 1.5" lower if they can get clear of the steering wheel by moving into the center of the car.

^^ I used to drive like this -- when I was 10 yrs old -- and driving on the farm. I couldn't see over the steering wheel, so I had to look between the top of the steering wheel and dash. I also was raised with no car seats or seat belts - and I'm still here. That's not to say there aren't necessary. We always strap our kids (and us) in. It's just funny how times change.

I currently drive an Echo, and like the dash configuration very much. It is safer to glance at the center gauge pod than to look down to see thru the steering wheel the old fashion way during driving. It took me few days to get used to it. Now it just becomes a second nature.

quote:

It is safer to glance at the center gauge pod than to look down to see thru the steering wheel the old fashion way during driving.

That may be true if you are farsighted or if you suffer from presbyopia. But then you should opt for a HUD anyway.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back