Yard Fungi ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are some pretty sad pictures I know. Anyway, I'm located in north Alabama at ~ 1,250' elevation. Located in my yard a few feet from a very small cherry tree were two of these purple items. I'm assuming some sort of fungi. They were dusty once I ran over them with the lawnmower. Date (on pictures) was 2011-Sep-29. Temperature range mid 80's during day & mid 60's during night. No rain during previous week.

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

One of my friend who lives in the ghetto has a neighbor with pit bulls running around the neighborhood. They would chase anyone walking in and out of their houses and the owner would refuse to do anything about it.

He fed up, and made a meal of wild mushroom in the yard with cheap beef for the pit bulls. He put the mixture in a dog cage inside his trunk and with a remote close mechanism. By the time he transport the dog and the cage to a remote national park, he had to literally drag the dogs out because they are unconscious.

Lesson: do not eat wild mushroom.

Wouldn't it have been better to have law enforcement or animal control handle it ? Turning aggressive animals loose in a national park where they may be dangerous to others ? Potentially poisoning a domestic animal, aggressive or not ? Can you say animal cruelty ? Not wise actions IMO.

Originally Posted By: PR1955
Wouldn't it have been better to have law enforcement or animal control handle it ? Turning aggressive animals loose in a national park where they may be dangerous to others ? Potentially poisoning a domestic animal, aggressive or not ? Can you say animal cruelty ? Not wise actions IMO.

I think he tried and every time animal control or PD came the owner would hide the animal. Supposedly it happens many times already and with kids in the house it would be a danger.

I think he said by the time he drove off the pit bull was still dead as a door nail.

That's really sad. They CAN be excellent mannered dogs given the right owner.

To the OP, that's possibly the strangest fungi I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
That's really sad. They CAN be excellent mannered dogs given the right owner.

Yes, agree, it is really the owner's fault. My friend said the owner likely raise the dogs for dog fighting and therefore do not want anything that will remove the alpha behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back