Yard bench- need replacement bottom support rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
wife bought one at a yard sale, a slat wood bench with cast metal side pieces- previous owner had replaced the side to side support rod with an all thread rod which of course rusts badly.
where can I buy a replacement rod, that is steel. and has an inch or so of threads on each end? approx 3/8 inch in diameter?

Originally Posted by edwardh1
wife bought one at a yard sale, a slat wood bench with cast metal side pieces- previous owner had replaced the side to side support rod with an all thread rod which of course rusts badly.
where can I buy a replacement rod, that is steel. and has an inch or so of threads on each end? approx 3/8 inch in diameter?

Originally Posted by edwardh1

the rod goes under the ench and connects the side pieces.

I don't think you can buy it ready made. I think you will have to get an un threaded rod, and either thread it yourself, or have it threaded at a machine shop. Or weld a bolt on each end of a plain rod.

Paint would be the easiest and cheapest route. If the one that is on there isn't rusted to the point of being to weak to do the job, I personally would just wire brush off the heavy rust, and paint it with Rust-o-leum rusty metal primer, then top coat it in desired color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back