Yamaha outboard oil recommendation obsolete?

Got a brand new Yamaha outboard

The recommended oil is synthetic 10W-40 API SJ, SL

I have trouble finding a Mobil oil (Mobil is what I use for my cars, the bigger boat with inboard diesel engine etc.) fitting this spesification without API service class SM and SN as well. I understand that newer API service classes are backward compatible with previous classes. But why the heck do Yamaha put a SJ, SL spesification on a 2021 outboard? I am thinking there must be a reason and I dont want to come in conflict with the recommended oil spec on a brand new engine under warranty.

Don't know. In the Owners manual it is stated SJ. But on the engine itself there is a sticker with SJ, SL.

Ok thought the Yamaha watercraft oil was not - but their outboard oil was.
(more corrosion protection, anti foam etc)
I just always ran NMMA FC-W … but some in the US use HDEO …

The SJ and SL specs allowed for higher levels of zinc anti wear additives than current oils and I bet if you looked up the Yamalube recommended for your specific outboard it would be SL rated.

The oil the dealer supplies is SJ.
20210913_093514.jpg
The sticker on the engine states SJ, SL.

Attachments

• 20210913_093514.jpg
    20210913_093514.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 11
The SJ and SL specs allowed for higher levels of zinc anti wear additives than current oils and I bet if you looked up the Yamalube recommended for your specific outboard it would be SL rated.

So is it reasonable to say that the newer API service grades which are designed for low ash in combination with particle filters, low emissions etc. have compromised away some of their additives (and in some ways are poorer looking isolated at lubrication performance only)?

I don’t think 10W40 falls short on lubricant performance … most of the USA based F-XXX motors came with 10W30 or 5W30 … After a hard WOT run… check the dipstick and make sure you don’t have foaming
(cars don’t stay at elevated RPM’s like outboard motors) …

Modern engine oils and modern engine oil specifications coincide with modern automotive engine designs. Fuel injection, roller rocker arms and lifter designs, turbocharged and direct injected inductions systems and the federally mandated requirement for emissions systems to remain operative for extended periods of time have all led to what we now buy in the stores for our vehicles.

Motorcycles, outdoor power equipment and 4-cycle boat motors are very different from what is installed in an automobile and therefore carry very different lubrication requirements. If your boat motor specifies an API SJ/SL oil then go to the dealership and buy and API SJ/SL oil. It's a relatively small expense to ensure that you're using what the engine builders specified.

Modern engine oils and modern engine oil specifications coincide with modern automotive engine designs. Fuel injection, roller rocker arms and lifter designs, turbocharged and direct injected inductions systems and the federally mandated requirement for emissions systems to remain operative for extended periods of time have all led to what we now buy in the stores for our vehicles.

Motorcycles, outdoor power equipment and 4-cycle boat motors are very different from what is installed in an automobile and therefore carry very different lubrication requirements. If your boat motor specifies an API SJ/SL oil then go to the dealership and buy and API SJ/SL oil. It's a relatively small expense to ensure that you're using what the engine builders specified.

Yes I have no intension to not follow the Yamaha specs. I just want to understand why a brand new motor is recommended by the manufacturer to use oil technology that is 10-15 years old. I also wanted to challenge the API statement that newer/higher service grades always are backward compatible with older/lower ones.

Yes I have no intension to not follow the Yamaha specs. I just want to understand why a brand new motor is recommended by the manufacturer to use oil technology that is 10-15 years old. I also wanted to challenge the API statement that newer/higher service grades always are backward compatible with older/lower ones.
What is the outboard model from Yamaha ? F150 etc … ?

So is it reasonable to say that the newer API service grades which are designed for low ash in combination with particle filters, low emissions etc. have compromised away some of their additives (and in some ways are poorer looking isolated at lubrication performance only)?
I think FowVay summed it up pretty well. Different oil formulated for different problem areas. Marine oils need to control much higher levels moisture and corrosion plus marine engines tend to operate at constantly higher loads and wider range of oil sump temps than a highway vehicle.

That said, I suspect if the recommended SJ Yamalube was analyzed, it would probably perform better than the original SJ oils and be more comparable to more modern formulations, except with higher levels of phosphorous and zinc than is allowable for the health of the cats.

The recommended oil is synthetic 10W-40 API SJ, SL

What else does it say? No requirement for NMMA FC-W rating? Read it carefully before putting in an oil they will point to as the problem when a warranty service is needed.

Yamalube or NMMA FC-W rated is how I read this.

Also note, only certain Yamaha outboards are specced for full synthetic, like the V-Max SHO.

Once it's off warranty, do as you please, of course, but dont hand them a reason to deny warranty work.

Last edited:
What else does it say? No requirement for NMMA FC-W rating? Read it carefully before putting in an oil they will point to as the problem when a warranty service is needed.

Yamalube or NMMA FC-W rated is how I read this.

Also note, only certain Yamaha outboards are specced for full synthetic, like the V-Max SHO.

Once it's off warranty, do as you please, or course, but dont hand them a reason to deny warranty work.
No reference to NMMA. Only SAE viscosity and API service grade.

Sticker inside engine:
20210919_173730.jpg

I find it strange that API service grade SE is approved. It is a pre 1979 lube oil and as far as I know there were not any synthetic oils on the market then. Does it mean Yamaha approves a 1979 specced mineral oil in 2021 outvoard engines?

No reference to NMMA. Only SAE viscosity and API service grade.

What year and model number is the engine?

and

What does the manual say?

The sticker you linked a picture of shows a capacity of 1.6L. That's about a 15HP, F15. Here is the section from the manual for that motor:

1632169566659.png

Do what you want. Mobil 1 is not a good idea, and will not hold up to a warranty claim. "4-stroke outboard motor oil" is the key here.

Why does it matter? The additive packages in motor oils for street vehicles have lower anti-wear additives like zinc. Because the zinc will destroy an expensive catalytic converter. A 15HP outboard doesn't have a cat. And even if it did, they actually have a spec for engines with a Cat. It's "FC-W Cat." Lot's of other valid reasons as well. Here's come light reading:

Last edited:
Back