Yamaha Drive 2 Golf Cart

I've read in several other places on the 'net that Yamaha doesn't recommend synthetic motor oil in their cart motors because they are splash lubricated. There is no mention of synthetic or non-synthetic in the owner's manual. Thoughts?

I’m gonna call foul on that. Synthetic oil splashes just as well as regular oil. Most syns are group 3, which is basically a purified version of the same properties as a standard non syn, which is group 2, again, with no impurities inherent to the mfr’ing process. Someone who knows better can chime in here, but easily in terms of liquid properties, it splashes just fine. All of the engines we own, including both wet sump (splash) and dry sump (slinger) outdoor power equipment engines, run synthetic. No issues.

m

I would say that it doesn't matter.

Keeping it changed regularly will matter though, since there isn't a filter.

Anecdotal only. I have a 2002 Yamaha G16 golf cart I bought used in 2011. Runs like a champ and uses no oil. It's gotten Napa and Rural King 10w-30 synthetic while I've owned it. My owners manual doesn't require or recommend synthetic oil. It only specs 10w-30.

Anecdotal only. I have a 2002 Yamaha G16 golf cart I bought used in 2011. Runs like a champ and uses no oil. It's gotten Napa and Rural King 10w-30 synthetic while I've owned it. My owners manual doesn't require or recommend synthetic oil. It only specs 10w-30.
These new Quietechs are heavily sound-proofed and run pretty hot. The chart in my manual specifies 10W40 when ambient temperature is 70 or above, which is pretty much year round where I live. Thinking of going with 10w40 year round and change it often. Capacity is only one quart and takes less than 10 minutes to change.

I have a 2020 Yamaha gsa golf cart and there is no recomendation on oil. The shop where I bought it said put 20 her on it and the owner said I use Mobil1 15-50 in mine. Te told me if I wanted since it was summer in FL I could use 10-40. I chose M1 10-40 High Mileage cause thats all I could get. It seems to be fine and possibly I will go to M1 5 or 10-30. It's a splash lube so I think just about anything would be OK, and so far no leaks at 40 hours. Probably just change it once a year. Any thoughts

Weldor, you can access the owners manual for your cart on the Yamaha web site to find the oil recomendation. Check at the bottom under "Resources."

Back