Yamaha ATV and HDEO's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the newer owners manuals for ATV's are recommending against using diesel oil. Does anyone know why this is? I probably know of over 100K miles being put on atv's that all use HDEO's. It is very common. Im just wondering if the newer ones maybe have some gold metals that are sensitive to HDEO or if its just a ploy for them to sell there own labled oils. Im running Delo 400 LE in both my Grizzlys now and one has 4700 miles on it almost all of them with Rotella 15w40.

Probly to sell their expensive oils. Most bikes and quads recommend 10w40 or 20w50 so there's no reason that a 15w40 can't be used. Many people say that too much Moly will make a clutch slip but I've never seen it happen.

The dealers are reporting back dismal sales of their over-priced, only-adequate, maker-branded engine oils, is my guess. Continue on w/ using your Delo, Rotella, Delvac, whatever, in your quad's...

John.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Probly to sell their expensive oils. Most bikes and quads recommend 10w40 or 20w50 so there's no reason that a 15w40 can't be used. Many people say that too much Moly will make a clutch slip but I've never seen it happen.

Kind of hard for oil to make a CVT clutch slip, unless of course you're putting it on the belt instead of in the engine.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Kind of hard for oil to make a CVT clutch slip, unless of course you're putting it on the belt instead of in the engine.
All of my toys use a regular wet clutch. No womens automatic quads for me!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
The dealers are reporting back dismal sales of their over-priced, only-adequate, maker-branded engine oils, is my guess. Continue on w/ using your Delo, Rotella, Delvac, whatever, in your quad's...

John.

Yep.

Been using Rotella T 15w-40 & other HDEOs for many years in all of my 4-stroke ATVs, both air cooled and liquid cooled. I have never ran a UOA, but there have never been any real problems of note.

I have also ran regular 10w-40 in the past, although I suspect that HDEO is better suited to these machines.

The main thing that you want to avoid in any wet clutch application are the "energy conserving" rated oils. I've read repeatedly over the years that the additives will cause clutch slippage and glazing.

I go with trying to push thier "Hidden" spec special oils. Polaris even has stupid names for theirs to confuse the mass's. Angle shaft drive Fluid(gear oil). AGL is their automatic transmission oil, which I have found about anything will work in there, from ATF to Motor oil. Only thing that wont work is Gear oil, it stretches the drive chain. Nothing a atv does to Diesel oil, that a modern diesel engine does not do to it. That is tough oil.

Shell Rotella meets JASO-MA specifications so clutch slippage would not be an issue due to the oil. I agree with the others; it is to push their own brand of oil.

I've run both T6 and regular Rotella 15w40 in my 550 grizzly and kodiak 450, never any slippage and both perform great.

been using HDEO's with my cycles as well, no problems.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

If you are talking Grizzly CVTs, the belt is not used as the clutch. The belt is tight all the time. There is a wet centrifugal clutch in the engine cases. I have been using 15W-40 and 5W-40 for the better part of 6 years in all my bikes with no problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back