y'all have Havoline "Energy"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, i live in southeast asia. we only have three types of havoline oils here: fully synthetic 5-40, formula 20-50, and a newer one, havoline energy semi synthetic at 5-30.

does north america have this havoline "energy" variant? is it any good? i'm guessing it's just plain 5w-30 marketed differently here.

it outscores even the fully synthetic havoline in all automotive uses - four stars all around excluding "use for high mileage engines".

I haven't seen any here in Arizona. The Havoline website (Asia Pacific) says it can give good fuel economy. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot if I could get a hold of it.

There were some bottles at a Wal Mart in St Louis, a few years ago. It was about us$3.50/qt.

I remember looking up the specs, and I think it had a VI of over 200.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Yes energy 5W30 has been here for a few yrs now from memory. Big ad campaign along the lines of 6% better fuel economy. Might try this in my Outback this winter

Good luck finding it Steve. My local Caltex has only 2 1L bottles, and they look like they've been sitting there a while. I think they replaced it (down here) with the 10w30.

It does (did?) the work.

A friend had a fairly new festiva, and was complaining after a dealer service that it was sluggish and thirsty. Checked the service record, and it had 20W-50 in it.

replaced it with the recommended viscosity (used havoline energy), and it came back to normal.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
There were some bottles at a Wal Mart in St Louis, a few years ago. It was about us$3.50/qt.

I remember looking up the specs, and I think it had a VI of over 200.

visco index 200...is that good or bad?

oops, I was wrong. I found the specs, and VI is only 165. It doesn't seem that special, by today's standards. probably group 3 synthetic

API SL, SJ, SH, SG
• ACEA A1-02, B1-02
• ILSAC GF-3
• API Energy Conserving
• Ford/Jaguar WSS-M2C913-B
• Ford WSS-M2C913-A
• Ford WSS-M2C915-A

SAE Grade 5W-30
Base No.,
D2896, mg KOH/g 8.2
D4739, mg KOH/g 7.4
Phosphorus, m % 0.10
Sulfated Ash, m % 1.10
Viscosity,
mm 2 /s @ 40°C 55.8
mm 2 /s @ 100°C 9.85
Viscosity Index 165
Zinc, m % 0.11

WOOOOO!!!! Pinoy power!! I'm half Pinoy but I claim 100%! What do you drive over there? I know driving anywhere there is hard on oil. It's all stop and go and you rarely get to go over 100km. Last time I went, I rode in a new (2003) Toyota Hiace with the 1.9L turbo diesel and it was quick but I was suprised to see how short the gears were. When the driver threw it in to fifth gear, it only dropped the RPMs by 750! It was cool seeing stickshift vans though.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
WOOOOO!!!! Pinoy power!! I'm half Pinoy but I claim 100%! What do you drive over there? I know driving anywhere there is hard on oil. It's all stop and go and you rarely get to go over 100km. Last time I went, I rode in a new (2003) Toyota Hiace with the 1.9L turbo diesel and it was quick but I was suprised to see how short the gears were. When the driver threw it in to fifth gear, it only dropped the RPMs by 750! It was cool seeing stickshift vans though.

OT:
hello sir jeep, you should visit the islands again soon, lots of new infrastructure - and while the old time favorite tourist spots are fading away, new places are being discovered (like palawan!). i drive two hondas and a toyota here - roads are much better. but the heat - the heat this summer is nuts. lived here all my life and i still can't stand the heat.

back to topic:

i guess it's conventional oil with a marketing twist and some fuel saving properties. don't all sl oils have that?

thanks all

Even though it's been obsolete for 1-2yrs I bought a 5-litre jug of Caltex (Havoline) ENERGY 5W30 today for $A40. A girl at my local Caltex servo rang around all the other Caltex stations and found three, put one away for me. That's service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back