Yale professor suggesting ‘mass suicide’ of elderly 'inappropriate' but understandable: Japanese commentator

I understand where @GON is coming from. His reaction to this professor‘s statevent does not surprise me one bit.

Jennifer and I have lived 5 miles from Yale University since February 1985. She graduated from Yale College in 1977 and retired 3 weeks ago after working there for 22 years.

Most of our neighbors and many of our friends and acquaintances teach or have taught at Yale College or one of the graduate schools. .

Yale is a microcosism of insanely bright, uber focused individuals.

Some of them are narrow in their research focus: like my friend who has a lab of 9 people who study the molecular and cell biology of wound closure. And a neighbor who studies how fruit flies transmit viruses in Kenya. (His family spends the entire summer in Kenya.)

Others are broad in their studies: the one who teaches philosophy and law at the Yale Law School. Our friend who is head of the Classics Department. And one of my favorites, John Gaddis, who’s perhaps the top Cold War historian anywhere.

Many of them, not all for sure, are hopelessly, sometimes laughably naive about the world outside New Haven.

I didn‘t give a second thought to this professor’s comment.

In fact I laughed.

Last edited:
I understand where @GON is coming from. His reaction to this professor‘s statevent does not surprise me one bit.

Jennifer and I have lived 5 miles from Yale University since February 1985. She graduated from Yale College in 1977 and retired 3 weeks ago after working there for 22 years.

Most of our neighbors and many of our friends and acquaintances teach or have taught at Yale College or one of the graduate schools. .

Yale is a microcosism of insanely bright, uber focused individuals.

Some of them are narrow in their research focus: like my friend who has a lab of 9 people who study the molecular and cell biology of wound closure. And a neighbor who studies how fruit flies transmit viruses in Kenya. (His family spends the entire summer in Kenya.)

Others are broad in their studies: the one who teaches philosophy and law at the Yale Law School. Our friend who is head of the Classics Department. And one of my favorites, John Gaddis, who’s perhaps the top Cold War historian anywhere.

Many of them, not all for sure, are hopelessly, sometimes laughably naive about the world outside New Haven.

I didn‘t give a second thought to this professor’s comment.

In fact I laughed.
Exactly, one voice, spouting crazy, isn't a concern, regardless of the fact that he teaches at Yale.

Exactly, one voice, spouting crazy, isn't a concern, regardless of the fact that he teaches at Yale.
I wonder if this whack job would still be teaching at Yale if he made his comments about other demographic groups; like people with criminal histories or people on welfare, or maybe even a particular racial group.

This story is another example of the blind hypocrisy of the global elitists. These people are dangerous.

Scott

I wonder if this whack job would still be teaching at Yale if he made his comments about other demographic groups; like people with criminal histories or people on welfare, or maybe even a particular racial group.

This story is another example of the blind hypocrisy of the global elitists. These people are dangerous.

Scott
Honestly Scott, I wouldn’t give it a second of worry.

The dude‘s an assistant professor.

His research is breathtakingly narrow. And published in journals few of us will ever lay a hand on.

Definitely not a global elite.

Sam

Honestly Scott, I wouldn’t give it a second of worry.

The dude‘s an assistant professor.

His research is breathtakingly narrow. And published in journals few of us will ever lay a hand on.

Definitely not a global elite.

Sam
Sam, you know I think the world of you personally, but this guy needs to be fired. He's a madman.

Scott

It was an article for him to get some notoriety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott
Honest question - What makes someone a "global elitist"? Education level?

Japanese culture about abandoning aging population is called Ubasute

It stopped in the last couple hundred years but you bet it is something people knew from historical texts and folklore. I wouldn't be surprised it came out of Japan.

Back then in Greece they "sacrifice" slaves who aged pass their useful lives. Honestly for Japanese population the best they can do is actually to send them to rural area and build affordable nursing homes for them, and hire 3rd world workers to help them with the lowest cost available.
"and hire 3rd world world workers" is what we have right now at the majority of nursing homes.

I worked full-time until I was 70 as a Biomedical Technician, when I retired I was called back often as a consultant for 4 years to perform a specialized service that none of the younger staffers ever learned. Many businesses are hiring older workers to fill positions as many younger people seem uninterested in learning useful skills or working at all. I still work part-time 22 hours a week in a job that requires a special skillset. I'm 75, in reasonable health with the usual creaks & squeaks, but I'm far more useful than so many younger people whose primary skillset is their iPhone, social media and a worthless education that taught them nothing practical or worthwhile. I'm old, but I know stuff and can fix things.

Back