Yahoo Tip: 7,500 mile OCI = $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerreports/article/lower_cost_driving.html

quote:

BUY BARGIN FUEL AND OIL

Off-brand gasoline is most often identical to what is sold at franchised gas stations. Shop for the cheapest. Likewise, look for promotional sales at quick-lube shops. Just make sure the shop uses the correct service-grade and viscosity oil for your car. Following your car's recommended oil-change intervals is sufficient, which for most cars driven under normal conditions is 7,500 miles. While oil companies and lube shops may recommend changing oil every 3,000 miles, this can be an unnecessary expense. You can change the oil yourself-typically for $10 or so for oil and a filter. But since a commercial oil change routinely costs $20 or so, you have to weigh whether the savings is worth the time and effort, plus the hassle of safely disposing of your used oil.

Well, I don't know too many people here (including budget minded BITOGer's) that would go 7,500 miles on $10 worth of products. 3-5k OCI, that would be no problem...but beyond that? Sorry, but extended OCI's should have some extra level of protection. I use Kendall GT-1 (~$1.50/qt) and an AA/Premium Plus filter on my Ranger, which equates to about $10 an oil change. That's good for ~5k OCI's, but beyond that? I'd have to get a few UOA's done...which would throw the cost of my budget oil changes out of whack. Silly Yahoo...

As for gas being equal at all gas stations, I think that's a crock too. I've consistantly had better luck (less pinging, better mpg) with name-branded gas stations than those that are more concerned with selling nachos and cigarettes. Considering the difference in price is often only a few cents, why go with Apoo's Mart gas over Chevron or Mobil? Why stand in line to save $1.00 on twenty gallons of gas? Silly Yahoo...

I think Yahoo's point is you should use either the hard or easy maintenace schedule recommended in your owners maintenance book not 3000 Jiffy Lube slogan. And you save if you change it yourself.

My 91 Mazda that 5K hard and 7.5K easy driving conditions and I use the 5K schedule with dino at from $5 to $10 a OCI depending on whether I use 49 cent Kragen CS or WM Havoline.

But what got me about this was that Yahoo is implying that "most cars" can go 7,500 miles on $10 worth of oil and a filter. Not $10 worth of oil and filter on rebate/sale, but $10 in general.

For the average guy who doesn't hang out in BITOG and isn't on the verge of his seat when the new AA ad comes out, I don't see it. You have to shop on the cheap at Wallyworld to get a non-discounted $10 oil change. An ST/ST combo with a 5qt sump is going to be around ~$9, no? How many people here consistantly go 7,500 on that combination (note: Not slamming ST here, just using Wallyworld as the example)?

I just think the Yahoo writer was being a little too unrealistic in what a quality oil change costs for the average American.

So it costs $15 to go 5000 for a diyer. But the point of the rest of the article is the same if gas costs more - you need a list to save on other non gas car expenses and too frequent changes at $30-50 Jiffy Lubes is a good start.

Not a bad list - slower speed, tires inflated or 3 lbs over, shop gas prices, empty the trunk, run the tires closer to 2-32. Changing your own oil and running OCI further isn't enough for the over $3 reg gas here and its not summer yet.

Fram got Yahoo to include change air filters alsowhich is probably the most overchanged part after 3000 OCI at lub shops.

The manual for my 88 buick says that you can change the oil at 7500 miles in non-severe conditions. I think if the oil from 88 could do it, why not the oils we have today? I can do it for $6 with 59 cent chevron, 10 is certainly doable.

I buy the cheapest oil that meets the spec and has a name I can trust and go 7500 miles or 6 months (4 months in winter), whichever comes first. This is usually in accordance with the owner's manual. So usually the time factor gets me first, but I have had some sub-$10 7500 mile changes.

5K OCI, The cost of the Mann oil filter $3.50, washer $0.25, Oil (M1)$18.00, maintenance dose of Auto-Rx $5.50 Labor $10. All told I get $37.25. Not the $10 they're talking about.
So it costs me a whopping $112.00 a year for oil changes in my daily driver. I costs me a whole 3/4 of a cent per mile to use the best products in my car. The garage queen highway car takes 6.5 quarts of M1 and it costs me $48.50 every 6 months. A whopping 2 cents per mile or less.

I assure you that most common domestic passenger car engines that don't have inherent design flaws will last most owners well beyond 100k/10years with 7500 mile changes ..even if their duty is severe (assuming that oil is added when needed). The condition that they're in when they get retired (at maybe 150-175k) will be probably less favorable then those changed earlier/more often. They may have a few ticks ..they may consume a little oil ..but they will still be running without too much difficulty.

Generic gas is not the same as name brand. It was in the past, but now is blended right at the distribution facility that handles various brands. Drivers have a key that unlocks the additive package from the designated brand, and THAT is what it goes in. Raw gas will get a minimum add pack for shipping to a generic station. I have good luck with Wawa Gas. It's a Convenience chain, but takes pride in their gas formulations (probally IS a name-brand). Anyone who uses Sheetz Gas has my sympathies.

I think a lot of the auto recommendations on the internet are just plain old. Not that long ago, $10 did buy you a decent non-sale price oil change.

Auto Union,

Is it OK to buy the cheapest gas and then add FP60?

You can still find a few high quality oils if you look for closeout sales. I bought a whole bunch of Havoline Synthetic for 79 cents, Havoline HM and Havoline Syn Blend for 49 cents.

Any decent oil can last 7500 mile OCI.

There's plenty of $2 great oils out there.
That and a $2 filter for a 4 quart sump works out to $10+/-.

So what if it's $15 now
dunno.gif
Still cheap.

The last oil change i did cost me:

8.99 for 5 quarts of Havoline dino
2.99 Supertech oil filter
1.00 new drain plug washer
0.25 in shop towels

For 3K mile OCI's or less, 14 bucks seems reasonable to me, especially for something i enjoy doing.

Cheaper than therapy.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back