Xw20 in the USA, should I use it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the 20wt vs 30wt threads seems to think the grass is always greener over there - outside the US.

I wonder how many enthusiasts around the world are wondering: "hmm, the new trend in the USA is lighter weight oils - I wonder when my country will catch on?"

We have been known as the technology leader, with other countries following suit. Why not in this case? Why is every 20 vs 30 thread only looking over the fence in one direction? Try looking from the other way and maybe our grass is greener than theirs.

34.gif

[Tongue-in-cheek critique of the majority of the 20v30 threads]

that's because ignorance breeds fear, and fear is the major driving force behind most of the scenes of moving the country/technologies forward.

Conspiracy theorists, internet dittoheads, backyard scientists and self-proclaimed loudmouths/airheads/blowhards are the ones that drive the scene...

Q.

Good point! I do think 20 grades will become more prevalent in other parts of the world, but it will take time. The Japanese are also proponents of grades 20 or thinner, aren't they?

Originally Posted By: Quest
that's because ignorance breeds fear, and fear is the major driving force behind most of the scenes of moving the country/technologies forward.

Conspiracy theorists, internet dittoheads, backyard scientists and self-proclaimed loudmouths/airheads/blowhards are the ones that drive the scene...
Yup, that MUST be it. Whatever blows your skirt up....
Q.

Most car owners in this country will have their vehicles serviced by the dealer or a local shop. The shop will want to stock only one oil so will use whatever mineral oil is common between the manufacturer's allowable grades, most likely a 10W-30 or 15W-40.

Rather than 20 vs 30, the bigger issue here in my view is whether they are using oils suitable for diesel particulate filters, in the 10% or so of vehicles where that's applicable.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Yup, that MUST be it. Whatever blows your skirt up....

Note of caution: I didn't put this line in my original posting...

(*regardless, still funny indeed*)

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Last that I've seen: Japanese automobile industry already working on 0W16 oil for automobile use.

Q.
It isn't just the Japanese - the API will be issuing a 0w16 oil come the new GF-6 certification in 2015.

Most of the OEMs either have a xW-20 recommendation, or will do soon. It is happening now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back