Xw-20 oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to run that engine in a 91 taurus that saw oilfield neglect all its life. If memory serves it wasn't too picky on oil choice or OCI
grin.gif
( didn't get too many of those anyhow), but it ran exceptionally well on Havoline straight 30 ( even when it went over 150k miles) . If M1 suits you go for it I say. It will work.
cheers.gif

btw I hope it doesn't have the old school taurus tranny in it...
frown.gif

I put in 5w20 into my Ford Aspire with 120k+ miles on the clock. It ISN'T speced for it. I only did 2000 miles before I did a UOA but wear wasn't out of check or anything.

Less noise does not = More protection. Just because the motor is more quiet does not mean you have less wear. IN SOME CASES thicker oils just mask the valvetrain noise and take longer to get to the top of the motor when its a cold start up. A uoa is the only sure way to tell. I would run the reccomended weight unless it is consuming oil and then sample....Just my.02

quote:

A uoa is the only sure way to tell.

In the hands of an expert with suitable data, a UOA would certainly be better than listening to the engine's noise. But in my hands (and perhaps the hands of many members here), I'm not so sure a UOA tells us all that much. And I certainly couldn't fault someone for choosing a name brand oil of the recommended service category and weight based on the engine's noise level if short (
BTW, my particular 2002 3.0L Vulcan seems reasonably quiet, and I notice little difference in noise level between MC 5W20 as M1 5W30. I haven't tried 10W30 in it yet, but I probably will next summer.

Originally posted by Not the Autorx Frank:
[QB] Less noise does not = More protection. Just because the motor is more quiet does not mean you have less wear.

bowdown.gif

People seem to have a hard time with this concept. I think it is very true.

Brian, point taken. UOAs do need an experienced interp.

Unless there is credible evidence the recommended oil weight is doing harm, Sticking with man. rec. should trump a little noise IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back