Xterra dislike of PureOne oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always do my own oil changes and have used mobil 1 for quite sometime. I've been using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance for the last couple years. I recently did an oil change with the PureOne filter and the oil pressure at idle fluctuated. After some research I replaced the filter with a Bosch premium filter and the oil pressure regulation has been corrected. Any thoughts on what the issue is with the PureOne filter? Also recommendations for future filters. I'm looking at Mobil 1's filter and Wix for future uses. Thanks in advance.

It was the tears in the filter medium breathing.

27.gif

I had a bosch on there before with no issues so I went back with what worked. Issue resolved. Maybe the xterra is name brand specific...ha

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
It was the tears in the filter medium breathing.

27.gif

That may not be far off the mark.

Tymeador it would help if you told us how you use your vehicle, but the M1 is a very good filter, rated up to 15000 miles. The Wix shoukd also serve you well.

Last edited:
Vehicle is 06 Xterra 4wd with 80k miles, used as a DD, used OR less than monthly and that is light OR use. Oil change every 7K miles. Just want to make sure I'm using the best (don't want to start a filter debate). Just looking for pros and cons of the top rated filters. Also bouncing off thoughts of the Mob 1 Ext. Perf. use. Thanks

Your Xterra must have a differnt oil pressure gauge than most Nissans of that time frame. The gauges(if you want to call them that) simply plopped the needle in the middle of the pressure range. Basically, it was an idiot light. The dealer told me on the 2007 Fronty I owned that Nissan did this to quiet complaints from people who were looking at small changes in needel position and complaining to the dealer.

So if you could see oil pressure fluctuate on an '06 Xterra by looking at the guage, you probably are looking at a bad gauge.

Boomer, it has the standard gauge on the Xterra. It does more that "plop" the needle in the center of the gauge. I watched the needle fluctuate while at idle and could feel the engine running poorly. Since replacement of the oil filter the needle has remained constantly in the center. The needle is not faulty.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: Kuato
That may not be far off the mark.

That's kinda why I said it.

I suppose the beehive emoticon would have been at least as appropriate...

Around here, you never know....
28.gif

grin2.gif

Not buying it.

What was observed had nothing to do with the oil, the oil pressure, or the oil filter.

The 05 Xterra/Frontier had real gauges, the 06 and newer had dummy gauges.

I wonder if your oil pump has started to go? 07FrontierLE or something like that on CF.org had the same issue and it was the pump, not the filter.

If you are still curious, you should open the old filter and investigate.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
That's kind of funny because I thought they where the same filter.

So true.

Try a Fram Tough Guard, you won't be disappointed.

It is a problem reported by quite a few people regarding the oil filter. Mine is an earlier 06 model which does have a true oil pressure indicator as opposed to those with the simple indicator. Mrsliv04, your comment basically states oil and filter have nothing to do with oil pressure. I would disagree.

See link below to related problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzFyHxzTTI0

Last edited:
I just did an oil change on a G37 (VQ V6) and used a PureOne filter and noticed that it would dry start or rattle ever so slightly every morning. A week later, I switched it with another PureOne and had the same situation. Finally after another week, I put on a M1 filter and it was quiet as a mouse.

Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
I just did an oil change on a G37 (VQ V6) and used a PureOne filter and noticed that it would dry start or rattle ever so slightly every morning. A week later, I switched it with another PureOne and had the same situation. Finally after another week, I put on a M1 filter and it was quiet as a mouse.

What is the orientation of the filter? Butt up? That sounds like an anti drain back flapper problem, in the Pureone.
Another problem with Purolator.......Whodathunkit?

Originally Posted By: tymeador
Boomer, it has the standard gauge on the Xterra. It does more that "plop" the needle in the center of the gauge. I watched the needle fluctuate while at idle and could feel the engine running poorly. Since replacement of the oil filter the needle has remained constantly in the center. The needle is not faulty.

Did you cut the filter open. If the oil filter caused your engine to run "poorly" there's something very unusual going on, way beyond the realm of routine maintenance. I've worked on cars that had the filter completely plugged up with all the oil going through the bypass and the engine ran normal. You need to do some more looking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back