Xterra dislike of PureOne oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
I just did an oil change on a G37 (VQ V6) and used a PureOne filter and noticed that it would dry start or rattle ever so slightly every morning. A week later, I switched it with another PureOne and had the same situation. Finally after another week, I put on a M1 filter and it was quiet as a mouse.

Same thing happened on the 2005 Xterra we just sold. Would always get a noticeable ticking sound for a few minutes until it warmed up. Went with a Wix filter and never heard it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter is mounted on the side of the block, sideways. I thought I was being paranoid, but every morning like clockwork, it would rattle a bit. I'm guessing the 2nd PureOne filter I used was from the same batch, which might explain why it also had the issue.

So far, it sounds great on the M1 filter.

Also, I just bought some new Nissan Filters, and they have improved them quite a bit. New Silicone ADBV and Metal End Caps. Compared to my old Nissan Filter (Japan), it looks promising.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: tymeador
Boomer, it has the standard gauge on the Xterra. It does more that "plop" the needle in the center of the gauge. I watched the needle fluctuate while at idle and could feel the engine running poorly. Since replacement of the oil filter the needle has remained constantly in the center. The needle is not faulty.

Did you cut the filter open. If the oil filter caused your engine to run "poorly" there's something very unusual going on, way beyond the realm of routine maintenance. I've worked on cars that had the filter completely plugged up with all the oil going through the bypass and the engine ran normal. You need to do some more looking around.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Originally Posted By: ukmastermind
I just did an oil change on a G37 (VQ V6) and used a PureOne filter and noticed that it would dry start or rattle ever so slightly every morning. A week later, I switched it with another PureOne and had the same situation. Finally after another week, I put on a M1 filter and it was quiet as a mouse.

Same thing happened on the 2005 Xterra we just sold. Would always get a noticeable ticking sound for a few minutes until it warmed up. Went with a Wix filter and never heard it again.

Detecting only a "dry start/rattle" is most likely a leaky ADBV. If all is quiet and normal 10 sec after start-up, then I'd suspect a bad ADBV.

Michael call it as you will but seems to be others to have had the same issue. Do a little research and you will see.

I was under the impression that the PureOne (gold filters) were a mid range filter and at least decent filters. M1 for me from now on.

I didn't cut the filter open. I returned it to the parts store.

I'm staying away from purolator filters after all the documented media tears. As far as I know they also make the bosch filters.

Just picked up a fram ultra for my VQ40DE. Metal endcaps, silicone adbv, wire backed synthetic media. Hopefully it'll work well. Looks like it may be better than a M1 or K&N...

Originally Posted By: tymeador
Always do my own oil changes and have used mobil 1 for quite sometime. I've been using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance for the last couple years. I recently did an oil change with the PureOne filter and the oil pressure at idle fluctuated. After some research I replaced the filter with a Bosch premium filter and the oil pressure regulation has been corrected. Any thoughts on what the issue is with the PureOne filter? Also recommendations for future filters. I'm looking at Mobil 1's filter and Wix for future uses. Thanks in advance.

I've had a Fram Ultra on my X for about 1,200 miles, no complaints so far, it seems to be keeping the oil clean.

The difference between a bargain filter and a top of the line filter is about $6. Spring for it, it protects your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back