XOM Synthetic basestocks for automotive engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the most information I've ever seen on PAO synthetics.
It would be intersting to know which oils use which basestocks.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
It's just great to know blenders can choose the best from XOM, Chevron, etc to formulate great oils.

By the same token, they could choose poor base stocks and the consumer would never know...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
It's just great to know blenders can choose the best from XOM, Chevron, etc to formulate great oils.

By the same token, they could choose poor base stocks and the consumer would never know...

I guess maybe some consumers wouldn't know, but "never" is a pretty strong word. Say an oil is supposed to be a stout racing oil and goes south in a couple thousand miles, thins to water or worse.....I dunno. I don't see this happening. Maybe you have an example?

While I'm sure PAO is (most likely) still predominant in European synthetics most NA synthetics are using Group III.
I know that Group III syns can be (are)very good so where is all this PAO being sold?

PAO can be blended in to an optimal point, no need for it to be a super-majority item, especially if grpIII has better oxidation resistance. Just need enough to get the cold temp properties right.

Uh, this is where HTHS and having German OEM approvals like MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 come into play.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have a feeling that Amsoil uses some of these high quality PAO's. What do you think Pablo?

I wonder what he will say?

I have zero idea of Amsoil's actual formulations. Telling DJ's that kind of stuff is the same as telling the public. But I know from what I can pick up, Amsoil doesn't buy the cheap stuff.

I would think Amsoil would use a variety of their products based on the target market they are going after.

Pablo said:
Say an oil is supposed to be a stout racing oil and goes south in a couple thousand miles, thins to water or worse.

Forget "stout racing oils" this doesn't even happen with the cheapest API name brand dino's any more.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Say an oil is supposed to be a stout racing oil and goes south in a couple thousand miles, thins to water or worse.

Forget "stout racing oils" this doesn't even happen with the cheapest API name brand dino's any more.

Well, just saying - please don't take it so literally. OK, after 5K or 10k the oil starts breaking down and leaving deposits. This happens.

5W-30's go into SAE 20 range all the time (by design). NOT SAYING THIS IS A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

Well not really backtracking - you must admit a dino group I, II and most all III's would indeed suffer quite a viscosity drop in abusive race situations. It happens, so I'm not back tracking. The point is, I think people would know if an unscrupulous oil blender started using cheap brightstock or other unsuitable base oils. I think this was the challenge, no?

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Truth is XOM knows exactly what Amsoil is using, the end user can only guess.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Truth is XOM knows exactly what Amsoil is using, the end user can only guess.

Truth? Please provide proof.

XOM of course knows what Amsoil buys from XOM. But other than reverse engineering, please explain how "XOM knows exactly what Amsoil is using"?

As for guessing and Amsoil............that's hilarious, because yeah right, everyone knows exactly the formulation of XOM oils are! And all other oils as well.

Truth? Please provide proof.

XOM of course knows what Amsoil buys from XOM. But other than reverse engineering, please explain how "XOM knows exactly what Amsoil is using"?

As for guessing and Amsoil............that's hilarious, because yeah right, everyone knows exactly the formulation of XOM oils are! And all other oils as well.

Lets see, if Amsoil buys from XOM then XOM knows what Amsoil is using, actually that's pretty simple. IIRC you mentioned more than once Amsoil does business with XOM. I have no clue what XOM uses, I never said I did. IIRC I'm pretty sure one of the Amsoil reps, it might have been you, said an oil company can reverse engineer a product and know exactly what is used. No big secret there either.

Looks like we agree.

Last edited:

Lets see, if Amsoil buys from XOM then XOM knows what Amsoil is using, actually that's pretty simple. IIRC you mentioned more than once Amsoil does business with XOM. I have no clue what XOM uses, I never said I did. IIRC I'm pretty sure one of the Amsoil reps, it might have been you, said an oil company can reverse engineer a product and know exactly what is used. No big secret there either.

Oh you think Amsoil only uses XOM basestock. Not correct.

So I agree in the sense that Amsoil can buy the best from XOM, Chevron, or any of the PAO and ester manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back