XOM plans 15% workforce reduction

Crude prices have been depressed due to less demand, more folks working from home means less driving, decimated airline industry needing way less jet fuel.

Not surprised.

Crude prices have been depressed due to less demand, more folks working from home means less driving, decimated airline industry needing way less jet fuel.

Not surprised.
Kerosene (jet fuel) is easy to make at the refinery, so low profit margin. But you right, people moving less, so using less refinery products. Surprising they did not lay off months ago.

This is important:

Announcing spending cuts out to 2025 shows where XOM's head is at: They don't think this is going to be a quick recovery for the oil and gas industry. Not good news.
Certain oil companies, like California based Chevron, have hedged their bets on the future by heavily investing in other areas besides oil.

If a huge corporation can shed 1 in 7 employees and still hope to be profitable, why did they need them in the first place? I dumped my XOM and Phillips stock in March. Kept the Shell and Chevron.

I buy Pennzoil/QS and Havoline not M1 anymore.

I am a contrarian. XOM will emerge a leaner, meaner Co. a few years down the road, and their profit margins and share price will reflect this. Now is the time to buy with sub $40 share price and a 9% yeild.

I am a contrarian. XOM will emerge a leaner, meaner Co. a few years down the road, and their profit margins and share price will reflect this. Now is the time to buy with sub $40 share price and a 9% yeild.

I was just thinking about how nice it would have been to buy a bunch of Amazon shares around this time in 2001. What I worry about though is if their cost cutting will extend into their products, I have not been too impressed with Mobil motor oil in recent years and any further degradation will not win me back as a customer.

I was just thinking about how nice it would have been to buy a bunch of Amazon shares around this time in 2001. What I worry about though is if their cost cutting will extend into their products, I have not been too impressed with Mobil motor oil in recent years and any further degradation will not win me back as a customer.
I'd go back a bit farther say circa 1967 and find Bill Gates to see if I could lend him ~10K to start his company 'Microsoft'.

Back