XOM News Release Announcing AFE Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 is recommended by ExxonMobil for 5W-20 applications and Mobil 1 0W-30 is recommended for 5W-30 and 10W-30 applications.

1 Delivers up to 2% fuel economy improvement

Based on a comparison versus those grades most commonly used and a potential 2% fuel economy improvement. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions, and your current engine oil viscosity.

And we all thought oil wouldn't change MPG.
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

lol... UP TO 2%

sounds like a huge amount!

truth is, though, if you take all the millions of vehicles on the road in the USA and Canada and put them all of this oil... who knows, maybe that would amount to a serious cut-down in gasoline usage.

Maintaining proper tire pressure, having good spark plugs, and having a clean air filter will do a helluva lot more than these oils IMO.

Doesn't seem to be availiable in Canada right now....don't know if that will change. We don't get M1 'High Mileage either....

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Maintaining proper tire pressure, having good spark plugs, and having a clean air filter will do a helluva lot more than these oils IMO.

Don't forget a light foot on the gas!

Quote:
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy’s synthetic base stock composition ensures low traction (internal fluid friction) to further contribute to improved engine efficiency.

And don't forget ...

... it shears by one grade in engine to further reduce friction and increase fuel economy.

57.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
And don't forget ...

... it shears by one grade in engine to further reduce friction and increase fuel economy.

To some extent, that is very true. More hp too.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Don't forget their fun-to-use Savings Calculator!

Mobil Calculator

Now if only Mobil and Exxon would lower their gas prices we could save a whole lot more.
happy2.gif

As a matter of fact, VW 505 5W40 oils for TDI diesel engines are designed to shear down, in order to improve fuel consumption. Put a non-505 oil in a VW diesel that is designed not to shear, and fuel consumption goes way up!

You guys are absolutely amazing bashing Mobil's attempt to market fuel savings with their synthetic oils. Folks have been posting on BITOG for years about the potential fuel savings of 2%,
smirk2.gif
3% or more
shocked2.gif
that come from using lower viscosity synthetic oils without anyone jumping on their claims like this thread is dumping on Mobil.

syn payback for fuel economy link

TooSlick's fuel savings claims

If you're a synthetic oil user to begin with, why wouldn't a reasonable person use a "Green" lube with gas fast approaching $4/gal?
21.gif

I think what XOM is doing is smart. When Mobil introduced their 0w20 8 years ago, many that owned Ford/Hondas wouldn't touch a "0w" oil. Instead they used a 5w20 not knowing you could use a 0w20 in it's place.

With fuel prices going up, they have tied in the benefit of the 0w/low ht/hs oils to maximize fuel efficiency. A big oil company promoting fuel efficiency. I think it's great. I'd rather take Drew's suggestions and put more air in my tires etc. but it's still a good move.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Don't forget a light foot on the gas!

I completely agree. When I drove from NJ to SC over Easter, I decided that I would drive the posted speed limit or no more than 5 mph's over. I got 24.5 mpg's on my first tank. However, I got bored with that once I hit NC and drove a bit faster (with a 70 mph posted speed limit) and got 22 mpg's.
19.gif

On the way back, with a steady wind from the south, I got 27 mpg's.

I entered 24 mpg's on Mobil's calculator and it told me that I could go an extra 6 miles on a tank.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back