XOM - Intro to Syn Base Stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that with many additive systems, it's a bit of a stretch to just say PAO/AN > PAO/Ester. Many ways to make a good oil.

How come it is always the out of country Mobil 1 sites that have all the neat stuff? Mobil 1 USA needs to get their act together like this site and the one in Australia.

thumbsup2.gif
on what johnny said,,thanks buster you always find the cool stuff to post.
beer3.gif

+1 very informative! Thank you buster!

Synesstic has always had me curious... in the PDF EM really seemed to focus on total acid value and hydrolytic stability. That's definately an advantage over Esters. I'd like to know which specific additives the tested PAO+AN and PAO+Ester blends used for SeqIIIG- low P experimental 0w30? Were they using TCP and decided to cut it for testing? VIIs? The polar base oil vs additive contact could be interpreted as a positive or a negative, depending on operating conditions and use. Of course they only focused on the negative aspect of polar base oil behavior ie. displacing additives at the contact level. What about other comparisons like high temperature stability and viscosity retention over POE? With a low VI of Synesstic 5 for instance, would VII's or more VII's be required to meet certain multigrade specs of a finished product? Although 10% AN in a finished product shouldnt affect finished VI too much, should it? Also curious about which oils on the market now are truly based on PAO+AN. Perhaps the higher Mobil varieties like TDT/D1?

Originally Posted By: buster
I would think that with many additive systems, it's a bit of a stretch to just say PAO/AN > PAO/Ester. Many ways to make a good oil.

Caveat lector!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back