XL 7500 How far to push in a Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, has anyone with a honda out there, pushed this 5w20 g3 oil past 7500 miles. I though it would be the perfect oil if I could get 10,000 out of it. Any thoughts besides the obvious that I'm probably nuts.

I believe Tooslick pushed if further before but it wasn't in a Honda. Don't quote me on this. IMO, pick a good PAO based synlube like Amsoil S2k, ASL,ATM or an M1 product if you want 10k mile drains. The XL line is overpriced no matter how ANYONE cuts it.
wink.gif

[ January 28, 2004, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
Just wondering, has anyone with a honda out there, pushed this 5w20 g3 oil past 7500 miles. I though it would be the perfect oil if I could get 10,000 out of it. Any thoughts besides the obvious that I'm probably nuts.

Depends on what Honda you are putting it in. Amsoil says it should be good for 7500 miles or 10k miles for the Hondas. If it is a non performance engine then probably will go the distance.

I can't see why it wouldn't make 10K. I would do it, but I would also do a filter change at 5K.

BTW the XL7500 has a TBN of 9+, it would work probably as well as Mobil 1 at 10K.

Hope this helps

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The XL line is overpriced no matter how ANYONE cuts it.
wink.gif

Umm I beg to differ. Maybe compared to the ASL/ATM line, but compared to say running Mobil 1@ 5000 miles you would come out ahead with the XL7500. Also if you look at the charts for quicklubes it is cheaper to change the XL7500 than it is to pay $21.95 every 3000.

With the XL7500 you have 2 oil changes per 15,000 miles@ $49.95. Total for a year would be $99.90

Change conventional at 3000 at $21.95 you have 5 oil changes for 15,000 miles. It would cost you $109.75. Not to mention you have to go to the quick lube an additional 3 times per year, What is your time worth???

Cost is all relative, you have to put it in perspective. I would say the XL7500 competes head to head with Mobil 1 and I would have no problem doing the same interval with either product.

mssparks:
So, then it will work for 10k. The honda is a civic with the 1.7 ohc vtech. If it can go 10k, then its not that bad of a deal. Many think its overpriced due to being a g3 oil. However, if the perfomance is there....same difference in my book. I pay 20 bucks plus 6.60 shipping plus taxes comes out to 29 and change (4 qts) mobil1 is 20 bucks out the door. That is why I have a perception that its overpriced. What dollar amount do you have to order for amsoil to waive the shipping charges? In all honesty, I prefer the amsoil to the m1. Not that the m1 is not working, but I think that engine liked amsoil better.

thanks for the input.

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back