XG9688 vs Hyundai 26300-35503 OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently using the Hyundai OEM filter on my car, it seems to preform well. From the pictures I've seen the media is thick and the construction is solid. I get the filters at my dealer for around $6.50, my OCI is never any more than 5,000 miles.

However I've noticed the XG9688 is highly regarded. It would be easier for me order it on Amazon since I have a prime account, the OEM filter costs substantially more online than the Fram. I know the media of the XG9688 is made of synthetic fibers, but not sure if that makes a difference.

To get to the bottom of it, which one should I use?

-Thanks

You can get the Hyundai OEM filters cheaper if you buy several of them from Rock Auto. They're rebranded by Auto 7

My last order was seven filters and it came to $30.32 for seven filters after shipping. That's just $4.33 each. There are good deals on ebay, too.

I personally had issues with aftermarket filters on my Sonata, so I chose to use OEM filters. Others don't have issues.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2920238/1

HP3_zpsb88fa879.jpg

No warranty issues with the Hyundai filter.

Also, look for the following filters, they are all Hyundai OEM:
Kia 26300-35503
Mobis 26300-35503

At these prices I'd use the OEM. Heck, I pay $6.44 +tax at my local dealer and they always throw in a drain plug gasket.

I'd be crazy to buy a Fram of any flavor when the OEM is so affordable.

I've been using Purolator and Fram because they are easily purchased (any Walmart or auto parts chain) and because they are made in the USA. I'm sticking with Fram only for now...

Price difference is a wash between OEM Mobis or others, since your can get them in bulk. However, I've done this when under warranty, and it can be a hassle. Stealerships were not cheap (avg $10 plus tax), so I only get drain plugs often.
I've also heard that there have been counterfeit Mobis filters being sold online.

Thanks for the input guys, I've been doing some research and heard that the OEM filter is 99% efficient at 50 microns, which from what I understand isn't the best.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Not at all. The manufacturer recomends it. Depending on what your dealer charges, I would still argue there is a better bang for your buck out there though. WIX, TG, Ultra etc.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Not at all. The manufacturer recomends it. Depending on what your dealer charges, I would still argue there is a better bang for your buck out there though. WIX, TG, Ultra etc.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Thanks for the input guys, I've been doing some research and heard that the OEM filter is 99% efficient at 50 microns, which from what I understand isn't the best.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Something you need to think about with the OE filter- It is the cheapest filter available to the OE that meets their minimum requirements for filtration and durability. There are many filters out there that are far better than the OE filter. And, Magnussen Moss warranty act in the USA prevents any dealer from denying warranty coverage because you used a FRAM filter.
If your dealer requires you to use a OE filter to maintain warranty coverage, they have to supply it to you for free. Read up on the law, its an eye opener.

PH9688 is great for your 5k intervals.
OE filter is too.

2.4 GDI in driveway: PH $6 and TG $7 at wallyworld,
Microgard $4 at Oreilly, STP $4 at Autozone,
Driveworks $4 and Purolator $5 at Advance, ... leaves you researching Carquest, Napa, Pepboys, or dealer in your area.

I don't see the need or care for a filter that costs any more than $8. I don't stockpile filters or waste time/mileage searching for a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back