Xg3387a vs. Xg3980 oil capacity

I'm stocking up on the "old" ultra filter's with the wire mesh, I've bought all the XG3387A's I can get locally (a total of 2). My 4.3 chevy can use the larger XG3980 and they are still available in the old Ultra's here. I'm running multiple oil changes on the filters but was concerned about the increased "old" oil in the larger filter. My engine holds 4.5 quarts, I'm thinking the larger filter holds 1/4 more oil.

The XG3980 is like 1.6inches longer it's a 3in diameter can for both so, 3.14*(1.5^2)*1.6=~11.3cu in , 11.3cu in is around 6.25fl oz but that assumes the media cartridge takes up no volume, I'd say it adds about another 4 fl oz or so.

The XG3980 is like 1.6inches longer it's a 3in diameter can for both so, 3.14*(1.5^2)*1.6=~11.3cu in , 11.3cu in is around 6.25fl oz but that assumes the media cartridge takes up no volume, I'd say it adds about another 4 fl oz or so.
Okay, so not a huge difference thanks for your help. It seems like the ultras for older applications won't sell out as fast.

Last edited:
I'm stocking up on the "old" ultra filter's with the wire mesh, I've bought all the XG3387A's I can get locally (a total of 2). My 4.3 chevy can use the larger XG3980 and they are still available in the old Ultra's here. I'm running multiple oil changes on the filters but was concerned about the increased "old" oil in the larger filter. My engine holds 4.5 quarts, I'm thinking the larger filter holds 1/4 more oil.
If the oil filter's 'old oil volume' concerns you why not take the filter off, drain it, and then put it back on? It's a gasket-up type so you can pre-fill it with fresh oil before installing it.

If the oil filter's 'old oil volume' concerns you why not take the filter off, drain it, and then put it back on?
Couple reasons not to do that: 1) Best practice is to not disturb the base gasket. It will have a permanent set once installed for some time, and 2) In order to properly drain an oil filter, the ADBV needs to be opened up and the filter positioned with the base down in a funnel to drain for about an hour.

IMO, it's not worth the hassle to remove, drain and reinstall the oil filter. If the OCI is relatively short, the left over oil in the filter isn't going to really matter. If the OCI is very long, then it's probably best to install a new filter anyway.

Back