XG2 - 10000 & 7000 mile versions spotted today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped into PepBoys to buy 2 Fram Ultra's for $15 and found only one XG2 on the shelf. So I went to the parts desk where 3 employees failed to acknowledge me let alone tell me how long I would have to wait watching them busy in their computer work.

As I waited, I looked at the filter box more closely and realized I had an Xtended Guard that only claimed a 10,000 mile service life. So I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer and returned the XG2 to it's position on the shelf.

Later I was in Walmart and found the XG2 at the front to also be an Xtended Guard rather than a Fram Ultra, but this one claimed a 7,000 mile service life (which they said is 70% longer than the competition).

Ironically, the TG2 below this XG2 said service life of 10,000 miles. I actually did find 2 XG2's which had been placed behind the Fram Ultra XG5's. Looks like the TLE was trying to manage their old inventory and was hoping someone would take this old old XG2.

Both the Walmart and PepBoys Xtended Guard were sealed in clear wrap with the box on the Walmart one stating copyright 2005. Apart from this FL820S equivalent, in both stores the Fram Ultra were mainly Fram Ultras not Xtended Guards.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
The FRAM® Xtended Guard were renamed to become Fram Ultra.
Same filter, different packaging. I believe around 2011 or 2012. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mostly correct, except they also boosted the efficiency from 96-97% up to the current 99%+

There are still a few older ones lingering on the shelves up here, mostly in the larger stores with bigger selections (i.e. Partsource). The relevant models are things like the FL-1A equivalent, since I suspect there aren't many Canadians looking to spend $14 on such a filter. The old ones are rolled back nicely to $6 or $7 now.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Dropped into PepBoys to buy 2 Fram Ultra's for $15 and found only one XG2 on the shelf. So I went to the parts desk where 3 employees failed to acknowledge me let alone tell me how long I would have to wait watching them busy in their computer work.

As I waited, I looked at the filter box more closely and realized I had an Xtended Guard that only claimed a 10,000 mile service life. So I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer and returned the XG2 to it's position on the shelf.

Later I was in Walmart and found the XG2 at the front to also be an Xtended Guard rather than a Fram Ultra, but this one claimed a 7,000 mile service life (which they said is 70% longer than the competition).

Ironically, the TG2 below this XG2 said service life of 10,000 miles. I actually did find 2 XG2's which had been placed behind the Fram Ultra XG5's. Looks like the TLE was trying to manage their old inventory and was hoping someone would take this old old XG2.

Both the Walmart and PepBoys Xtended Guard were sealed in clear wrap with the box on the Walmart one stating copyright 2005. Apart from this FL820S equivalent, in both stores the Fram Ultra were mainly Fram Ultras not Xtended Guards.

Let me clear this up-
We have been making this style of filter for 14 years. When it was first introduced, it was called XG and came in a can (we called it a pringles can). That was the first gen synthetic media filter and had capacity for 7k OCI's. We got rid of the can and improved the media and called it Extended Guard and that filter had 10k OCI capacity. The filter name was changed about 24 months ago to Ultra along with another media improvement it can now go 15k OCI with room to spare as far as capacity goes.
At the same time we improved the media in the TG filter so it can go 10k OCI. The EG filter is for 5k OCI's or less.
All high efficiency filters, different construction and capacity.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Let me clear this up-
We have been making this style of filter for 14 years. When it was first introduced, it was called XG and came in a can (we called it a pringles can). That was the first gen synthetic media filter and had capacity for 7k OCI's. We got rid of the can and improved the media and called it Extended Guard and that filter had 10k OCI capacity. The filter name was changed about 24 months ago to Ultra along with another media improvement it can now go 15k OCI with room to spare as far as capacity goes.
At the same time we improved the media in the TG filter so it can go 10k OCI. The EG filter is for 5k OCI's or less.

If that is the case with the EG, perhaps Fram should stop listing it as a recommendation for vehicles, such as my Honda Civic and Subaru Outback, that call for an OCI greater than 5K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorking

Let me clear this up-

Hi Jay

Yes I guessed this is what had happened.

Good to know that the 15k mile Ultra has been on the market for 24 months. Interesting to see how long it takes for old inventory to work it's way out.

Btw, if you go to FramCatalog and click on "Features and Benefits" on any XG filter, the popup still gives the Xtended Guard blurb. The pictures are updated though.

Originally Posted By: Fram Catalog Pop Up for Ultra Oil Filters
10k Mile Engine Protection

Specially engineered filtering media reinforced in two plies and reinforced with a metal screen provides up to 10k miles of engine protection.
High Capacity - traps and holds more than double the dirt of leading economy oil filters average

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back