XG10575 5,100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Matagonka
The filter's life was cut too short. Way too short.

Yes, yes it was. It will be dearly missed!
grin.gif

I have not owned a GM vehicle since 2003 (and doubt that I ever will again), but are you guys suggesting that a non-Dexos SM or SN oil ran for a reasonable OCI would generate this carbon whereas a Dexos oil would not? Paint me a serious skeptic on that one--have engine designs changed that much and likewise has oil improved that much since the pre-Dexos days (2010)?

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: Matagonka
The filter's life was cut too short. Way too short.

He's getting them for $5 bucks delivered to his door. Who wouldn't run them for less than what they are manufactured for if you could get them for that price?
21.gif

Come on!!! That was funny and you loved it!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have not owned a GM vehicle since 2003 (and doubt that I ever will again), but are you guys suggesting that a non-Dexos SM or SN oil ran for a reasonable OCI would generate this carbon whereas a Dexos oil would not? Paint me a serious skeptic on that one--have engine designs changed that much and likewise has oil improved that much since the pre-Dexos days (2010)?

Thoughts?

The topic engine is direct injection. GM developed the DEXOS 1 spec to address deposit formation and cleanup primarily for DI and turbo engines. The maintenance history is unknown. We know that DI engines generate more soot that can lead to more carbon deposits.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The topic engine is direct injection. GM developed the DEXOS 1 spec to address deposit formation and cleanup primarily for DI and turbo engines. The maintenance history is unknown. We know that DI engines generate more soot that can lead to more carbon deposits.
I agree that DI engines can generate more carbon, but (obviously) we are not talking about a diesel. I would question whether or not it would be the same with a Dexos oil (especially with the unknown OCI/maintenance history)--i.e. is Dexos that much better than a standard SM or SN oil?

I agree that DI engines can generate more carbon, but (obviously) we are not talking about a diesel. I would question whether or not it would be the same with a Dexos oil (especially with the unknown OCI/maintenance history)--i.e. is Dexos that much better than a standard SM or SN oil?

I suspect the maintenance was sub par and has little to do with what oil was used. However, a DEXOS oil addresses many issues GM was having with their more recent engines.

This link summarizes DEXOS 1 objectives:
Dexos 1

These points seem important to me:

1. "The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties."

2. "The most current dexos1™ specification (dexos1™ Gen 2) was released in 2015 to provide even higher engine performance and protection, particularly low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection in small displacement turbo-charged engines. dexos1™ Gen 2 is the best option for your GM spark-ignited gasoline engine regardless of make, model or year. The GMW numbers in the table below apply to dexos® specifications."

I think most of the DEXOS oils are at least blends or full synthetics.

Last edited:
Like many others have said, previous maintenance may be more of an issue. 0W20 oil being specified for that engine is more about squeezing as much fuel mileage as possible out of it. Some have suggested shortening up on the OCIs. That may be a good plan. If you plan on doing that, you may want to drop back to a cheaper filter until it cleans up some.

I suspect the maintenance was sub par and has little to do with what oil was used. However, a DEXOS oil addresses many issues GM was having with their more recent engines.

Dexos 1

1. "The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties."

2. "The most current dexos1™ specification (dexos1™ Gen 2) was released in 2015 to provide even higher engine performance and protection, particularly low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) protection in small displacement turbo-charged engines. dexos1™ Gen 2 is the best option for your GM spark-ignited gasoline engine regardless of make, model or year. The GMW numbers in the table below apply to dexos® specifications."

I do not doubt what you say (or have posted), but item 1 could be the marketing tagline for nearly every oil on the market today. I am just skeptical that Dexos (or its "standard") is that much better than a non-Dexos oil--particularly in the case of synthetics, which, of course, many/most are Dexos approved. Thanks for sharing
cheers3.gif

Dexos 1

I do not doubt what you say (or have posted), but item 1 could be the marketing tagline for nearly every oil on the market today. I am just skeptical that Dexos (or its "standard") is that much better than a non-Dexos oil--particularly in the case of synthetics, which, of course, many/most are Dexos approved. Thanks for sharing
cheers3.gif

This could very well be true and I have no way of telling. Also, your knowledge of oils trumps mine.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:

Dexos 1

cheers3.gif

I was/have been wondering about that as well, but mostly, just how much better is the D1 G2 oil compared to the old regular D1?

My wife's car calls for just D1 oil and I have, somewhat reluctantly, purchased a bunch recently due to it being on sale but I have questioned myself if I should have just waited until the D-1 G-2 oil became more readily available up here (Pennzoil PP or PUP) and purchased that instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back