“Xenon” or whatever these new, brighter, whiter bulbs are??

I have multiple advance auto $5 coupons sitting with no use. I wouldn’t mind swapping my reverse and tag bulbs for those Mercedes like super white bulbs, but I worry that all the ones I’ll find are those blueish hue ricer ones.

Anyone know of the ones I mean? Our fleet of Mercedes metris all have the ones I mean, although they may be a real led and an entire lamp as opposed to a replaceable bulb…I haven’t removed one to really check it out.

Thanks!

It's all based on the "color". Numbers like 5000k are white, higher you go they are blue, lower will be the yellowish-white.

Halogen bulbs have always contained xenon gas, that is simply marketing hype. Yes for a real bright white effect you want LEDs with a color temperature of 5000 or higher, though 6100s may appear too blue for you.

Halogen bulbs have always contained xenon gas, that is simply marketing hype.
Maybe they do but Xenon bulbs are definitely different than halogen bulbs. Xenons are similar to HID bulbs in that they use/require a ballast.

Those “xenon” halogen or incandescent bulbs just have a blue coating on them to give them a whiter color. I don’t recommend them for brake lights as they can make them appear more pink.

If you swap to LED’s, sometimes they don’t play nice (bulb out warnings, never turning completely off despite the lights being off, hyper flashing because the car thinks the bulb is burnt out, strobing) and require resistors or reprogramming to make them function properly.

Back