XD(M) 3.8 S&W or Taurus 24/7 G2 in 40 S&W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at getting a nice 40 S&W for an all around handgun. I wont be carrying it or trying to conceal it very often or if at all. It will be more for fun and shooting at the range. I shot the XD(m) yesterday and was very impressed. I like the trigger and grip safety feature. Ive also shot a friends Taurus 24/7 before but it wasn't the new G2 version. The taurus is cheaper price wise but I dont want to spend a bunch more for the XD(m) if its not worth it. At the same time I dont want to buy the taurus and then have a subpart pistol.

I have smaller hands so I don't want to go any bigger at the moment until I become sufficent at the 40. I'd rather be more accurate and comfortable with a 40 then get a bigger cal and not be able to control or hit anything.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, Id also be interested in going to the 9mm just because theyre cheaper to shoot and if you get some P loads you can get similar ballistics to the 40. I have no experience with the 45 ACP.

The Smith is 2 or 3 steps higher in quality. I have seen a few Taurus duds out there. Most are shootable but sometimes a subpar one makes it thru quality control. If it's just for fun, get what feels best in your hand but if you think you might need it to defend yourelf or your family it would be worthwhile to spend the extra cash and get the Smith the first time around.

I hve a 9mm XD and love it. The 40 is nice as well. THe 45 acp sure does puch big holes in your target but I can't remember if the grip is bigger to accept the 45 cal magazine.

I have the Taurus G2 .40 and I have to say I preferred the older 24/7. If I had it to do over again I would spend the extra money to get the Springfield. If this is a gun you are protecting your family with you don't want to cut corners.

The XDM's are awsome. I am debating a XDM or 1911 right now. I am also debating caliber. I will probably stick with 9mm because I already have a decent stash. I have a S&W SW9VE and it is a good dependable gun but the trigger sucks for fun shooting.

Get the XDM 9mm. I really did try to like taurus and I had two of their guns, they both were horrible. Run dont walk, away from taurus. There are much better "value minded" gun companies out there.

Comes down to your budget and intended puropse for the pistol. XDM's are what, well over $500? I'm sure they are nice guns but plenty of choices out there for less. 9mm will be a lot easier on your wallet too, Walmart still sells 100 round packs of 9mm for $20, the 40 S&W is $28. I own a dozen semi-auto centerfire pistols and 4 of them are Taurus. I trust all of them. Could you get a lemon? Sure, they come in all makes and models, it happens. I have a Kahr that is a jam-o-matic but a friend has a Kahr he claims has never malfunctioned. My Taurus pistols run great and eat everything I feed'em. My dad has 2 Taurus pistols, his 9mm 24/7 has been flawless in about 1500 rounds, his 709 slim 9mm has been repaired twice in 500 rounds. Go figure. My Ruger SR9 has never had a single problem since new ($399,2 yrs old) my Glock 23 jamed once in 500 rounds($500). S&W Sigma 40, one jam in 1000 rounds ($299). Beretta Cougar 40 S&W, never one problem, (? rounds) had it since 2003. Figure out what you really want to spend and research what is available, if you're just target shooting get a 9mm.

Everyone lets a lemon slip. I have see an XD break at the firing range when a reserve police officer was shooting to qualify.

I too have two Taurus pistols that have never had a hicup, a 44 mag hunter and a PT92. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

I second the opinion of the Stoeger Cougar. It is a solid gun in the 300-350 range. I carry mine at times, but it is a blocky gun, but not much more than some mentioned.

If you are looking for a nice range gun that is a great value for the money, I do suggest you take a look at the CZ lineup. The CZ75 in 9mm would make a really nice range gun for fun. Its all steel so the recoil would be really tame and they are known for good ergonomics. Col. Cooper, the famous and late self defense guru called it the best combat 9mm ever made. And being a champion of the 1911 in 45acp it means a lot he picked the CZ platform for his ill fated attempt at the Bren Ten.

But like all things, hold as many as you can, shoot as many as you can, and then buy the gun that fits you.

Good call Robenstein & Sonic. I have the CZ75 SA 9mm and think it's one of the best. The Cougar is time tested by many police (LA PD for one) and Highway Patrol, it's accurate but more a carry on the hip than concealed as you point out. IMO Taurus makes nice guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back