WWYD: N63 : Break in Oil

N63 - current *22* version - B44T3.
While not necessary, I'm going to do a break in oil change on it . 300 miles away from hitting 1500 miles.

WWYD. Stick with factory oil since I'm in warranty or the tried and true Castrol 0w40

N63 - current *22* version - B44T3.
While not necessary, I'm going to do a break in oil change on it . 300 miles away from hitting 1500 miles.

WWYD. Stick with factory oil since I'm in warranty or the tried and true Castrol 0w40
Stick to warranty.
Does it say in the manual you can use LL01 or LL01FE?
If you want something else, go Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. You really want to stick to some LL approval during the warranty.

I haven't even cracked open the plastic on the manual
I was also considering doing it @ dealer. The cost is actually the same for the oil change to some degree.
And the OCI would be documented.
It's actually about the same cost in materials somewhat vs. dealer.

I haven't even cracked open the plastic on the manual
I was also considering doing it @ dealer. The cost is actually the same for the oil change to some degree.
And the OCI would be documented.
It's actually about the same cost in materials somewhat vs. dealer.
I would cut OCI to 5k. Do complementary oil changes, and you do in between.
N63 is super hard on oil!

Hot V - comes with the territory I suppose.....
Probably won't even see that much between the comp.
Almost 6 months - just hit the almost 1200 on the cluster.

Last edited:
Hot V - comes with the territory I suppose.....
Probably won't even see that much between the comp.
Almost 6 months - just hit the almost 1200 on the cluster.
So, take into consideration that that engine was always recommended for LL01 until last year when they switched to LL17FE, 0W20.

Ur last post threw me for a curveball so I logged in my garage and pulled the manual. It calls for LL01FE 0w30

Ur last post threw me for a curveball so I logged in my garage and pulled the manual. It calls for LL01FE 0w30
There you go.
Interestingly, they call LL17FE in the latest engines. So yours still has LL01FE from last year. Then they moved to LL17FE.
Go Motul Specific 5W30 LL01FE. It is borderline LL01 considering it has HTHS of 3.4. After the warranty, LL01.

Indeed. The verbiage states as such

The BMW Longlife-14 FE+ and BMW Longlife-17 FE+ oil specifications are not suitable for the 50i gasoline engine.

And in a different part of the the same page

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has a suitable viscosity grade.
The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a sign in the engine compartment.

Viscosity grades
SAE 0W-20.
SAE 0W-30.

The viscosity grade SAE 0W-20 is not suitable for gasoline engine 50i.

HA, can't complain. Surprisingly, this ones still got a stick in the 'bay

As the car is still under warranty I highly recommend that you have the oil and filter changed at the dealer. As suggested, decrease the OCI to 5k miles. As far as which oil, I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 in my car. It's BMW LL04 certified. It's a very stout oil. And use a MANN (and only MANN) oil filter. Lastly, document all maintenance and keep your receipts. Many years ago I had a problem with my '85 3 series. The cam lobes were wearing very quickly. I kept all my receipts and had logged all maintenance. BMW NA replaced the cam for free even thought the car was out of warranty.

Indeed. The verbiage states as such

The BMW Longlife-14 FE+ and BMW Longlife-17 FE+ oil specifications are not suitable for the 50i gasoline engine.

And in a different part of the the same page

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has a suitable viscosity grade.
The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a sign in the engine compartment.

Viscosity grades
SAE 0W-20.
SAE 0W-30.

The viscosity grade SAE 0W-20 is not suitable for gasoline engine 50i.

HA, can't complain. Surprisingly, this ones still got a stick in the 'bay
I thought I read somewhere that they moved this year to LL17FE.
Could be typo. But, would not surprise me.

As the car is still under warranty I highly recommend that you have the oil and filter changed at the dealer. As suggested, decrease the OCI to 5k miles. As far as which oil, I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 in my car. It's BMW LL04 certified. It's a very stout oil. And use a MANN (and only MANN) oil filter. Lastly, document all maintenance and keep your receipts. Many years ago I had a problem with my '85 3 series. The cam lobes were wearing very quickly. I kept all my receipts and had logged all maintenance. BMW NA replaced the cam for free even thought the car was out of warranty.
BMW is generally very good with these stuff. I had SCR failed on X5 at 86k, they asked me what oil I used, and I said LL04, and guy was: oh, ok.
Here you go, new SCR.

There have been posts on various BMW forums of BMW dealers claiming 0w-20 is now approved and are using it for oil changes since 2021 model year for the M550iX. (wouldn't be surprised if the dealers are mistaken) I know on my last couple "free" oil changes, I requested the dealer use the LL-01FE 0w-30, as I am not comfortable with the low HTHS of 0w-20.

Now that I am out of warranty, I will be using LL-01 or LL-04...

Last edited:
Any particular reason for the Mann oil filter preference? The oem filter from BMW for the N63 is a Mahle.

I know on my E39 540 the oem BMW filter is a Hengst, though I interchangeably use Hengst, Mahle or Mann...whichever I can obtain inexpensively.
Changed every 7500 miles with whichever LL-01 I can also get inexpensively. I am now at 345,000 miles...

Any particular reason for the Mann oil filter preference? The oem filter from BMW for the N63 is a Mahle.

I know on my E39 540 the oem BMW filter is a Hengst, though I interchangeably use Hengst, Mahle or Mann...whichever I can obtain inexpensively.
Changed every 7500 miles with whichever LL-01 I can also get inexpensively. I am now at 345,000 miles...
I thing all of those brands are fine. My bimmers have always used MANN filters.

Haven't paid for an oil change in like forever........however, I've got a service date @ the dealer for a paid change.
The cost is for my break in change is literally what I would be for just the materials itself . It was a no brainer + documented oil change to boot

Back