www.cthreport.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selling a car on CL and the wackos are coming.

One wants me to go to www.cthreport.com and get him a title report. I looked for it to be a scam and could not see if it was or not.

Maybe its legit but the person contacting me wants me to spend $20 for a report as he owns cthreport or gets a commission for people he pushes that way.

I searched BITOG and did not find it mentioned.

I emailed the person if he comes to look at the car in person he can copy down the vin and go to carfax or any place he wants to get a title report.

When people say "clean title" what does that mean? I have a title from new car purchase with a lien. And another notarized document saying the lien was satisfied. Is that a clean title? I would think so.

Appears to be part of VIN Check, which is like Carfax. I would tell him to come on over & look at the car, he can see the title paperwork then. Personally, I think half the out-of-town idiots are scammers.

Clean title would be not a Branded or Salvage title.

Never heard of that page but tell your potential buyer that if they want a report from there, they can do it on their own.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Clear title means no lien, mechanics attachment, etc

Clean title means no salvage, flood, etc noted on the title

Yes, agreed.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Yes, agreed.
+3
You have the title and the lien release. You have proof positive that it is both clean and clear, so you don't need to purchase anything to prove it to anyone. Whatever else the buyer wants, tell them to pay for it themselves.

Yes, agreed.

Yes, agreed.

So a title with a lien but also another lien release document is considered??

Don, you're over thinking this.
A title is clear if no lien is listed upon it.
The document was created to be a record of both debt (if any) and ownership.
If a finance company's name appears on the title they simply have a lien on the vehicle. The car loan details are not listed on the title.
The letter from the finance company or bank which states you paid any loan off is what the DMV wants along with the title.
Make a copy of such a letter if ever you need to go to the DMV with a title which has a lien on it.
Sometimes they'll take a copy but often they want the original.

After the vehicle's details, my title has my name and address. The spaces for lien-holders is blank.
Those are clean and clear titles. I can sell my car to anyone, anytime.

POTENTIAL HORROR EXPERIENCE: The car my sister sold me was bought with a big down payment (like half the car's price) and some financing.
They paid it off and got the letter. The company used "rubber stamps" to officiate it NOT AN EMBOSSER.

Some DMV info desks say the accept only an embossed letter. I would've been horribly inconvenienced as the darn company was in Kansas City.

If some finance company sends an unembossed letter stating you've paid the loan off bring that to DMV and tell 'em "that's all they sent ".

If a seller has a lien on the title and has no letter you have no option but to tell him NO SALE.
Tell him to get the letter and go to DMV and pay for an updated title.

Remember Don, you want to see no names listed in the "lien holders" boxes on the title.

It's CL. Just ignore him and work with a different buyer. If there isn't a different buyer, wait a week, drop the price. Eventually you'll be at market price and someone will give you money. Without paying games.

Just ignore anyone you don't want to deal with. There's no rule that says you have to answer emails in order received, have to meet with every person who shows interest, etc.

Did you list the VIN in the ad?
smile.gif

My 435i is for sale and I had a customer ask me if I'd pull a basic VINCheck report for them. The VIN is in the ad so they could've done it themselves, but I can understand if you're looking a few cars ordering reports every time can get expensive.

Never heard back from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back