WWII machine gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was the gun the marines used in pacific that was a hacked gun 3 different types made one gun that spit out 1300 rounds a minute?

The M2 Cal 0.50 came in at least three varieties. There was an early water cooled version, the M2-HB for ground use that was air cooled and a lighter version for aircraft.

I don't think any of them would go over 850 RPM though. The M2-HBs were more like 550 RPM.

BAR was more like 600 RPM.

Lazaro,

My bet is it was one of the faster M2 cal 0.50 variants which were about 850 rpm with a legend factor added to come up with the 1300 RPM.

This question even has me confused
21.gif

Marines used the M1917 and M1919 .30 cal Brownings, the M2 .50 cal Browning, the BAR Browning automatic rifle (Browning was one of the major saints of projected forces), but none had such high rates of fire. I think the German MG42 was one fo the few that did. An odd weapon used briefly by the Marines was the Johnson rifle, and they stole M1 Garands from the army until they got their own.

ok I saw it on tv maybe the history channel or military channel, they said the GIs took the gun off the navy dive bomber and modified it to use as a regular machine gun but with twice the capacity

Im pretty sure it was a single barreled gun, I doubt it was a .30 cal too more like a .50 cal

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
Twin .30 cal Brownings would produce a firing rate in that range.

maybe I get lucky and see the program again I will post up more info.

Originally Posted By: punisher
The only weapon I am aware of in WW2 that had that rate of fire was the German MG-42.

What he said, and it really doesn't make any sense to have it up that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back