WSJ Says Racers Using Highly Customized Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that they describe an oil used for just time trials and another used for the race itself. One group blended the two, scared the heck out of their formulating chemists and used it for the race which they one. The article says that the oils are loaded with sulfur which can be detected by the nose. Using gear oil technology???

So the oil the Mobil 1 race car drivers are using is a far stretch from the Mobil 1 you buy in Walmart? I would think so, and never believed for one minute the oil was the same. It's all advertising to push a brand. Different engines require different oils.

AD

Not doubting Johnny but Mobil could make a special oil and bottle it to look the same as their consumer oil.

I would not doubt it for a mill-second.

Castrol does it. (if you think normal Syntec is used in a nitro motor) I was at the races at Las Vegas and after the warm up, a crew member came out with a single jug of Syntec to add oil.

The oils the racers use are very single use.

The oils that we use are very different IMO.

Marketing is a very powerful tool to make people throw $$ towards oil companies.
20.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Not doubting Johnny but Mobil could make a special oil and bottle it to look the same as their consumer oil.

Castrol does it. (if you think normal Syntec is used in a nitro motor) I was at the races at Las Vegas and after the warm up, a crew member came out with a single jug of Syntec to add oil.

Marketing is a very powerful tool to make people throw $$ towards oil companies.
20.gif

Bill

Why would M1 do that? The old switch-er-roo game? Like millions of people watch race teams pour oil into their engines. Johnny was one of the few people to witness that event, much less cared enough to notice. I trust what Johnny saw. Remember he also noticed Kendal and other oils being used as well. Did they have switch-er- roo game going as well?

Some teams get custom formulations, others do not. Teams like the F1 Vodafone Mclaren mercedes would get custom oils made.

Many others chose to use M1 on their own, which is what Johnny basically witnessed.

Thanks for posting the link.

Who makes Gibbs oil? I read they work with Alisyn oil but have also read thats not true.

I did a oil hunt at the AMA Superbike races last year at Mid-Ohio. Every factory team was evasive and would not give a honest answer. One guy looked at his shirt for the oil logo, laughed, and then said "we use this oil"

Another guy was about to spill the beans but his crew chief walked over and he shut up.

The only real answer I got was a blank white bottle with Motul 10/40 HAND WRITTEN in black marker! I wonder what was really in the bottle??

If I go to the races this year I will try again and report back.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

20.gif

Bill

Why would M1 do that? The old switch-er-roo game? Like millions of people watch race teams pour oil into their engines. Johnny was one of the few people to witness that event, much less cared enough to notice. I trust what Johnny saw. Remember he also noticed Kendal and other oils being used as well. Did they have switch-er- roo game going as well?

Read what I said.

No way did I say that your oil company was the only one who does it.

They all do. Figure out marketing and you'll see it happen all the time.

(BTW millions do not see the bottles being poured into the engines. The PHOTOS (the gift and keeps giving) that millions SEE do)

Full Throttle (for the NHRA) gives each driver a can of their stuff just before the cameras go on. I've WITNESSED them pouring out the contents and refilling it with water.

I've also seen them give someone a empty can (again AFTER I WITNESSED them dumping out the contents) and the driver ON TV drinking the product.

Talk about empty calories....
LOL.gif

Marketing has a purpose. You are proving it works. We all are.

Some more than others.
20.gif

I guess that since John Force has GTX HM oil on the side of his car and the oil jug that they use is GTX HM oil that GTX HM oil is what he uses in the 8,000 horse power nitro motor.

Then the next pass he has Castrol EDGE on the body. Guess the HM oil did not work as well since the HM body was damaged on the previous pass.

Edge is a better oil after all. (its twice as much and we all know you get what you pay for)

Bill,
I wish XM was my oil company, I would take everyone on BITOG to Dearborn and buy them the Mustang of their choice and a lifetime supply of Mobil 1.

Keep in mind that the fuel used has an influence on the oil used, as does the specific loading on the bearings inside the engine and the time the engine has to run with that oil. A nitro drag engine that runs for seconds has very different requirements than a NASCAR engine that runs for hours, and I certainly wouldn't expect that any retail oil would be optimal in either.

Can we safely say that the oil used in these highest performance engines is as close to retail as the Goodyear tires used on a NASCAR track are related to retail GY tires???

The WSJ article was well written and accurate AFAIK. It's true that NASCAR teams are using the latest JGR oil, unless they have an alliance with another oil company. I've been told directly that tests show the JGR race oil being the best performer.

I don't know any NASCAR team that uses M1 unless they're sponsored or supported by XOM. I've asked key personnel directly if they use M1 and all have responded negatively. I've been thru parts rooms and have seen little or no M1 products on the shelves. I have no idea how XOM claims that 80% (or whatever the number) of NASCAR teams use Mobil One. I haven't seen it.

Some nascar teams use JGR. Others use other brands, M1 being one of the most popular.

I read that press release and liked this statement:

An industry leader in the development of innovative, problem-solving lubricants, including synthetics, the Mobil family of automotive lubricants includes motor oil, transmission fluid, gear lubricants and greases. Used by more than 50 percent of the teams in NASCAR’s top three circuits, race-proven Mobil 1 is the world's leading synthetic motor oil and meets the industry’s toughest standards, outperforming all conventional oils.

There are three individual statements in one paragraph, none related to the other. Whoever wrote that was a master wordsmith.

I have a friend who is a funny car driver. When driving his own car he used Valvoline racing oils and dumped it after each run. Now that he is driving for someone else they are using Redline and they boil the oil after each run to remove the alcohol.

Torco is a big sponsor in funny car circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back