WS in place of T-IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that:
From what I can tell mainstream ATFs tend to come in thick and thin, most designed for nice smooth shifting, and type-F which has a more positive shift (often used as a cheap racing atf for this reason, also revived my old slipping beater th-350[specd for dex2/3] for many miles)

Now in regard to modern ATF the main point I can find in regard to thick vs thin comes down to thin being newer and is meant for less drag when new, and less viscosity breakdown over time than thick, yielding similar operating-temp viscosity during the bulk of their lives. And that dex-6 is listed as suitable to replace dex2/3 for example.(a thin replacing thick)

So might it be reasonable even superior ["in theory"]to use Toyota-WS in place of T-IV?

(Specifically I have an '02 Camry 4cyl w/135k and am actually toying with redline D4 vs D6 http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/ATF PDS 1-10.pdf, if I go OEM it will be for chem continuity and T-IV wins)

Amsoil is the only option I have found that includes a wear test in the spec sheet and it also has both thick and thin versions but the VI is lower than Redline's and Redline D4 seems to match 3309's specs closer.

Last edited:
I had 06 Corolla that called for IV.

I had great results with castrol import. However, my most smooth shift was with the toyota ATF.

Toyota has rock solid trannys , put good fluid in there. No need for Amsoil or Mobil1 or super expensive stuff.

use Maxlife/castrol import/Redline d4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: capsicum

So might it be reasonable even superior ["in theory"]to use Toyota-WS in place of T-IV?

Viscosity is just one parameter--the additive pack is another. If the mfg doesn't back-spec WS in place of T-IV, I wouldn't assume that it's "better". So no, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption. I'd use the stuff that's spec'd for the transmission.

There are some ATF's that claim both both T-IV and WS.

Maxlife would also be a good choice.

T-IV for AW transmissions are best suited from shift and reliability stdpt. I would stick with it since the price is lower than WS or Castrol Import MV ATF.

Type 4 is much thicker than WS. I would not go to thinner D6 on a trans specified for T4 but if your running WS Redline now says D4 can be run instead of D6.

I run D6 in my Prius which is specified WS and have gotten fantastic wear numbers on a 30,000 UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back