WRX vs. Elantra N vs. Civic Si vs. GTI

I mean, accurate or not, that's how I see Subarus.
My issues with Honda is they still can't get the paint/clear right to last and look good as well as most of their line having a much too soft design. Must be a rather feminine group of designers they employ...

The new base Elantra is the WORST modern car I have ever driven. The award previously belonged to a early 2000's Dodge Neon...but the Elantra took the crown. What a total waste of metal. I can't fathom how people drive cars like that daily with a single ounce of enjoyment.

I do realize the "model N" could be a totally different animal...but wow, what a hunk that rental car was.
Base model tells you everything you need to know.

Honda should've given the Si the 250-hp turbo from the Accord.

They announced an upcoming Civic Type-R just as Subaru said there will not be another STI :sneaky:

The problem with both the Si and WRX is that they are sedan-only.
I am good with the sedan. I own 3 GM sedans. Have always liked a 4 door car.

Having said that I agree the SI should have gotten the 250HP engine. Even the wife's Malibpoo (which really shouldn't be called that as it has been excellent, but that is the nick name I gave it) has 252HP and 295 Ft/lbs of torque. It runs right at 14.50 to 14.70 in the 1/4. While the driving dynamics are going to better in the SI, they should have bumped those numbers up a bit.

The other cars in the test move out a fair bit better than the SI. Still the SI is my favorite of the bunch.

After the Tribeca and 2006 WRX I have done work on not sure I would be a fan. Not that they were bad, it was just maintenance seemed way more cumbersome than other cars I have worked on. Maybe it is not the same now.

That's funny.

To me, anyone driving a Subaru gives off an air of "knows nothing about cars," "my favorite food is organic granola," "I wanted a car as boring as a Toyota but without the reliability," and "speed and power are not important to me."

Of the four cars in the video, the GTI and Civic are the only two worth mentioning. I'm sure the Hyundai will blow up at least once under warranty and the WRX is a plastic-fantastic economy car with a body kit and "some power."
Even the WRX? I'm thinking of who I know that has bought a WRX new, and two of the three are engineers who some form of car racing....
On a clean dry pavement track, its maybe not the greatest car, but for a DD with AWD, its pretty good and on gravel or snow, or a wet autocross day its great.
Also the NVH on this new WRX should be a lot better as its using a similar structure to the Legacy and Outback.
Base model tells you everything you need to know.
I think on equal tires, you would have your hands full with the N-line Elantra on any track? There was one at autocross last time and it was quite impressive for a bone stock car.

Even the WRX? I'm thinking of who I know that has bought a WRX new, and two of the three are engineers who some form of car racing....
New WRXs are bought by WSB stock bros that unironically say things like "diamond hands" and people with poor credit that vape and chug Monster Energy.

Or they're bought used because "it's a street legal rally car bro" and abused until they meet an early demise at the hands of a sturdy guardrail or tree because the Ling Long Crosswinds couldn't keep up with "rally AWD system"

I’m curious to drive one. I’m just not sure I could deal with the smug, snide, condescending VW dealership service departments.

Also not sure I’d want to give off an air of pretension by being seen driving one. Accurate or not, that’s how I see VWs.
I have only used one VW service department and some of the staff give off that vibe, some don't. I am afraid it is an industry wide issue. In fact, thinking of it now out of all the various dealer service departments I've frequented from many makes, VW was one of the more positive ones.

I've never viewed VW owners as pretentious, but rather thoughtful and often quirky.

New WRXs are bought by WSB stock bros that unironically say things like "diamond hands" and people with poor credit that vape and chug Monster Energy.

Or they're bought used because "it's a street legal rally car bro" and abused until they meet an early demise at the hands of a sturdy guardrail or tree because the Ling Long Crosswinds couldn't keep up with "rally AWD system"
Those tend to be the second or third owners up here....

On a clean dry pavement track, its maybe not the greatest car, but for a DD with AWD, its pretty good and on gravel or snow, or a wet autocross day its great.
Also the NVH on this new WRX should be a lot better as its using a similar structure to the Legacy and Outback.

I think on equal tires, you would have your hands full with the N-line Elantra on any track? There was one at autocross last time and it was quite impressive for a bone stock car.
There are a lot of good track cars that are absolute junk. Somewhere, at some corner that Elantra will drop piston or two.

Nah, head gasket gets them before guardrail.
Guardrail is reserved for Outback’s in winter.

Great post... I guess what some say about BMW owners is true in your case?
Yeah pretty much.

If what John said is true then what I said is true and what edy said is true then I guess what you say is true about BMWs.

Or, you know, you shouldn't judge someone based on what they drive. Or go ahead. lol

That's funny.

To me, anyone driving a Subaru gives off an air of "knows nothing about cars," "my favorite food is organic granola," "I wanted a car as boring as a Toyota but without the reliability," and "speed and power are not important to me."

Of the four cars in the video, the GTI and Civic are the only two worth mentioning. I'm sure the Hyundai will blow up at least once under warranty and the WRX is a plastic-fantastic economy car with a body kit and "some power."
No, that motor is actually holding together very good. I have heard of 3 blowing up In the last 3 years. Who knows if they were tuned or not. ALL N’s have a full track warranty, as long as it is not a sanctioned race. They did a disservice to the GTI with running the all seasons, they should put a set of PS 4S summer tires on it, to compete with the others. Why have such bad tires to screw up the test. Even a second tier summer tire would of been nicer then an all season.

Last edited:
The new base Elantra is the WORST modern car I have ever driven. The award previously belonged to a early 2000's Dodge Neon...but the Elantra took the crown. What a total waste of metal. I can't fathom how people drive cars like that daily with a single ounce of enjoyment.

I do realize the "model N" could be a totally different animal...but wow, what a hunk that rental car was.
I have no experience with it other than seeing it from outside in the wild. What made it so bad?

Personally, I’d get the Subaru. Yes, WRXs are driven by boy racers but Uber drivers drive Hyundais and all the accidents Uber drivers get into if no one is in the car(on the clock but not “working”) are driving up insurance rates.

Yes, unless you’re married, insurance companies will also screw you over if you even mention Subaru.

Back