WRX vs. Elantra N vs. Civic Si vs. GTI

Good comparo video by Savagegeese on the 2022 WRX vs Elantra N vs Civic Si vs GTI.

Personally, I think, at $30,600, far less than all but the Civic, which has a lot less power and performance, and no AWD, the WRX is the best deal in the sport compact segment.

I agree with his opinion on the WRX. It had surprisingly bad driving ergonomics, it did feel like a rental car. Seating position was too upright for a performance car for me. Great power and great grip

I liked the Golf the most so I bought an older MK7.5 to get essentially the same car without the MK8 haptic interior. 225HP and I got a hand calculated 37.8mpg on my last highway road trip.

While the WRX is cheap at first, and very quick. It only gets 2mpg better than my truck.

The WRX could be John! (y) :unsure: Hard to say without a back-to-back test drive.

I'd like to give all of them a drive for a day, maybe a week and see for myself. Not that I am in the market for any of them, but if I were. ;)
I typically don't pick the performance version of a vehicle but, I'll play along.

I have always found the GOLF to be the almost perfect type of car. Perfect size, perfect comfort, quality, refinement, maturity etc.
Subies can be a bit funky in certain areas but, they're always on the shopping list.
The Civic has grown up quite a bit and I do like my daughter's 2022 LX Sedan quite a bit.
I've never driven a Hyundai that I didn't like. They've really come a long way.

Knowing that they're all fast and handle well, I am known for choosing vehicles with the best everydayness aspects as this is how it will be driven most often. The least fun car to drive according to the PRESS, could be the most practical for the every person...and sporty enough!

And I say all of this before viewing the video. I wonder what the reviewers will say.

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
It would be a tossup between the vw and Honda I wouldn't go near the Hyundai or Subaru with a 10 ft poll

Reactions: FZ1
I have said I would never buy an WRX again because all the accessories, wiring and such are are so "cheap".
I would not buy a Hyundai because so many esplode, terminally, short of expected life. Not sure what my neighbor will do with his dead beast, but the ass parked it near the property line so I can see it now from my office. Will get a report on actual COD soon, but died last month.
Never ever will buy a Honda again. Thanks, but no thanks. The 2017 CRV Touring is slowly crumbling away.
Funny I had a 1984 Sirocco Wofie Edition, first new car I bought. Yeah underpowered. Window motors died with regularity but it was not a terrible car. Simple car really. Only stranded me three times.

Why the heck did I even post in this thread?

Reliability would be one of my concerns with the VW/Hyundai so I'd likely go with the WRX then Honda.

I'd like to see how the CVT WRX performs. I've driven manuals for 20 years and not really into it anymore.

Seating position was too upright for a performance car for me. Great power and great grip
I personally always considered WRX more of a rally oriented car, than a road performance oriented car. So looking at it from that perspective does make sense for the seating position, and design language of the aesthetics on WRX.

Golf R is the exact opposite, for example. WRX would whoop it on dirt, and lose badly on the pavement.

I'm not really into rowing gears at my point in life but I cant get pass the mechanical & electrical issues Hyundai and Kia has not to mention the Hyundai is ugly. Next Subaru is a boy racer aka man that refuses to grow up and also not a reliable source. Vw and Honda seems to be the grown up choice

we have an 18 civic sport 4t 6 spd manual. By almost all regards, it’s a great car. it belongs to my son, he drives it hard, and it has been honda-solid. I enjoy my seat time in it. however, as a daily driver, the interior comfort of the VW is a solid step up. The Honda is loud and rowdy inside.

GTI. Simply because I feel it is the best mix of performance and daily driving comfort.
I’m curious to drive one. I’m just not sure I could deal with the smug, snide, condescending VW dealership service departments.

Also not sure I’d want to give off an air of pretension by being seen driving one. Accurate or not, that’s how I see VWs.

I’m curious to drive one. I’m just not sure I could deal with the smug, snide, condescending VW dealership service departments.

Also not sure I’d want to give off an air of pretension by being seen driving one. Accurate or not, that’s how I see VWs.
Have you actually owned a VW or dealt with their service departments?

I have, and they were no better or worse than any other service dept that I have used (Toyota, Chevy, Mazda, BMW). And the 2017 GTI that we had was a super fun ride and certainly not pretentious.

That's funny.

To me, anyone driving a Subaru gives off an air of "knows nothing about cars," "my favorite food is organic granola," "I wanted a car as boring as a Toyota but without the reliability," and "speed and power are not important to me."

Of the four cars in the video, the GTI and Civic are the only two worth mentioning. I'm sure the Hyundai will blow up at least once under warranty and the WRX is a plastic-fantastic economy car with a body kit and "some power."

Honda should've given the Si the 250-hp turbo from the Accord.

They announced an upcoming Civic Type-R just as Subaru said there will not be another STI :sneaky:

The problem with both the Si and WRX is that they are sedan-only.

The new base Elantra is the WORST modern car I have ever driven. The award previously belonged to a early 2000's Dodge Neon...but the Elantra took the crown. What a total waste of metal. I can't fathom how people drive cars like that daily with a single ounce of enjoyment.

I do realize the "model N" could be a totally different animal...but wow, what a hunk that rental car was.

Back