WRX Opinions

Welcome!

Are you buying new, late-model used, or older? The recent WRX models 2015+ with the FA20F are probably good, since the new engine has a timing chain and supposedly fixed the head gasket problems.

The STI still uses the EJ, and the regular WRX used it before 2015. It is known for head gasket problems, and it has a timing belt.

They seem to come with unequal length headers stock, but aftermarket equal-length headers should be available for any WRX or STI, EJ or FA. Some JDM versions have equal length, and all non-turbo Subarus have equal length headers. This would be the first mod you should do, as it will stop the car from sounding like a 60s Beetle about to fall apart

Welcome!

Are you buying new, late-model used, or older? The recent WRX models 2015+ with the FA20F are probably good, since the new engine has a timing chain and supposedly fixed the head gasket problems.

The biggest concern with this engine is related to turbo direct injection, carbon buildup on the intake valves as well as fuel dilution. Engines can begin to be severely impacted by the 30,000 mile mark.

The STI still uses the EJ, and the regular WRX used it before 2015. It is known for head gasket problems, and it has a timing belt.

There is something to be said about a proven, albeit dated, design. Reliability compared to the TGDI engine of the standard WRX is something to take into serious consideration. If it were me I would not even consider a TGDI WRX when I can have a port injected STi. The EJ is so thoroughly customizable as well.

First, in order to provide real assistance, we need to know how you will use a WRX or STI. Daily commuter, weekend toy, track events?
I have a 2015 WRX that is used for track events like time trials and HPDE. It is a Cobb Stage 1 tune and some suspension upgrades, plus tires and wheels. 35k miles without a single issue. Never been back to the dealer for anything. I do all my own oil changes and brakes, etc. It has direct injection as pretty much all new cars do these days. I also have a 2008 Subaru Forester XT with the previous WRX EJ225 engine from the factpry. 180K miles and the only issues have been the factory smog pump (emissions) seems to fail every 80k miles and the AC compressor was replaced once. That is it. Some report oil burning, but neither of mine have ever burned a drop. No head gasket issues if you don’t raise the factory boost levels. 2022 should debut the next generation of both the WRX and STI, so if you want an old EJ powered STI, get one now.

First, in order to provide real assistance, we need to know how you will use a WRX or STI. Daily commuter, weekend toy, track events?
I have a 2015 WRX that is used for track events like time trials and HPDE. It is a Cobb Stage 1 tune and some suspension upgrades, plus tires and wheels. 35k miles without a single issue. Never been back to the dealer for anything. I do all my own oil changes and brakes, etc. It has direct injection as pretty much all new cars do these days. I also have a 2008 Subaru Forester XT with the previous WRX EJ225 engine from the factpry. 180K miles and the only issues have been the factory smog pump (emissions) seems to fail every 80k miles and the AC compressor was replaced once. That is it. Some report oil burning, but neither of mine have ever burned a drop. No head gasket issues if you don’t raise the factory boost levels. 2022 should debut the next generation of both the WRX and STI, so if you want an old EJ powered STI, get one now.

Thanks for the response. A little background is indeed due here. The car will be for my son. He will be purchasing, insuring and will be responsible for the upkeep of this car. He is a registered nurse with a nice sized down payment ready and obviously has stable employment. He wants a car with performance and my initial thought was a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. Then he brought up a valid point the other night in our discussions. He reminded me he is on call and does have to report when called. We don't get a lot of winter weather in this part of the state but snow, freezing rain, and sleet can happen. If it were to happen while he was working or when he had to report to work, a Camaro or Mustang could be a handful. He has mentioned he would prefer not to pay taxes, tags and insurance for more than one vehicle, so IMO whatever he gets he wants it to be his daily driver.

How reliable is a Subaru WRX or the WRX STI?
A friend of mine had one for 30k miles or so, now has an STi. It has 9k or so. 2018 and 2019 respectively. Both treated him right. The tuning in the wrx demanded a vbox or whatever. The sti is stoopid laggy and a dead dog under 3k rpm. I drove them both. I would wait for the new one to drop unless this is a sentimental purchase. Both got abysmal mpg vs their performance. The sti handled very neutral and nice though. 19-23mpg observed is just a deal killer in a sub 3800#, sub 500hp car for me though.

Thanks for the response. A little background is indeed due here. The car will be for my son. He will be purchasing, insuring and will be responsible for the upkeep of this car. He is a registered nurse with a nice sized down payment ready and obviously has stable employment. He wants a car with performance and my initial thought was a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. Then he brought up a valid point the other night in our discussions. He reminded me he is on call and does have to report when called. We don't get a lot of winter weather in this part of the state but snow, freezing rain, and sleet can happen. If it were to happen while he was working or when he had to report to work, a Camaro or Mustang could be a handful. He has mentioned he would prefer not to pay taxes, tags and insurance for more than one vehicle, so IMO whatever he gets he wants it to be his daily driver.
My advice to your son is a reliable awd SUV, unless he already has a house and is squared away, there. I bought a new z06 when I graduated, and while fun, wished I'd gotten a sensible SUV, and long term kept it. My advice will be disregarded, but I fear when he is disgusted and wants out, he will wish hed done that. Hope I'm wrong, but everyone I know feels similar so far.

I can also say from experience the OEM tires on any of the cars mentioned wont do him a solid in ice or sleet. Still squirrelly as all get out. Friend in the wrx was following me when he found that out. My cx5 did fine. He almost lost it in that corner.

My advice to your son is a reliable awd SUV, unless he already has a house and is squared away, there. I bought a new z06 when I graduated, and while fun, wished I'd gotten a sensible SUV, and long term kept it. My advice will be disregarded, but I fear when he is disgusted and wants out, he will wish hed done that. Hope I'm wrong, but everyone I know feels similar so far.

I can also say from experience the OEM tires on any of the cars mentioned wont do him a solid in ice or sleet. Still squirrelly as all get out. Friend in the wrx was following me when he found that out. My cx5 did fine. He almost lost it in that corner.

I agree with your advice but you know sometimes a Dad does not know much in the eyes of a mid 20's young man. I'm hoping to get him in a 4Runner sometime as I think he would like that. He likes my wifes' Honda Pilot, so I had thought he might like the Passport? Fortunately, he says he plans to save for another year, with hopes to buy next summer.

I agree with your advice but you know sometimes a Dad does not know much in the eyes of a mid 20's young man. I'm hoping to get him in a 4Runner sometime as I think he would like that. He likes my wifes' Honda Pilot, so I had thought he might like the Passport? Fortunately, he says he plans to save for another year, with hopes to buy next summer.
I have nothing to say. I was mid-20's once, too. Have him drive a CX5 Signature or GT Reserve model. I bought mine because I wanted a sports car-ish vehicle like a WRX, but the WRX didn't have the ground clearance or cargo room I needed for my rural lifestyle. Having driven the CX5 and the WRX, the only things I feel I give up are a manual, and some numbers on the skidpad in the corners. Interior kills it, mpg kills it, and stock vs stock, the power is pretty close under 80mph and not far off, above. I know I push the CX5 a lot, but it's just that darn good.

The Honda Passport is another great option. It won't feel as "connected" as the CX5, but it's larger and is an excellent choice as well.

Regardless, how long has he been a nurse? That profession will burn out a lot of people rapidly, and my advice is aimed at having his debt footprint be small if he chooses in 5 years to marry, get a house, have a large dog, within that timeframe as there will be no need to trade out, etc. The SUV will fit his lifestyle no-matter what, at the cost of "cool and fun", now.

If he simply MUST have more power than the Japanese SUV's offer, or different image, or whatever, a used SRT8 Jeep would still be my pick over a WRX if his commute isn't that long. It's absolutely absurd as a vehicle, but it CAN do anything an SUV should be able to do, and the mpg is not that much worse than an STi once you really think about it. Used and clean, it's STi money. He can slap some good all-season rubber on it and it will be an animal. Crush a WRX, hang with an STi except in the deep twisties.

The WRX is a blast , I had one. For old men CX-5 turbos fill the need. WRX is definitely old school and a very connected and raw car compared to modern digital stuff.

They are reliable generally over the years. Occasional hiccups.

If he wants a fun toy... dare I suggest:

Chevrolet SS

Now, I'd obviously hold out for a manual, but they're out there. THAT'S the kind of performance car he should be looking for, not a high schooler's boy racer.

The new ones are automatic-only oops

Very unfortunate... but not surprising. Look at the Mazda 3: you can get a new one with a 6-speed in exactly one model: the Grand Touring hatchback. Want a base model? Auto. Want the new turbo engine? Auto AND all wheel drive. It's very unfortunate.

I will say, a friend bought a 2016 Mazda6 brand new with the 6-speed, and for what it is it's a FUN car. It's got enough oomph, enough creature comforts, and beyond all it has an amazingly slick Mazda shifter and clutch. She had to search a 5 state area to find one, but she loves it to this day.

The WRX is a blast , I had one. For old men CX-5 turbos fill the need. WRX is definitely old school and a very connected and raw car compared to modern digital stuff.

They are reliable generally over the years. Occasional hiccups.
My opinion is that the WRX needs more power. It would be fine for early 90's, but for a sports car, you want more than a mid-14's ride. It's CX5 turbo speed except in the corners stock/stock unless you are doing redline clutch drops, but most people don't.

Last edited:
Very unfortunate... but not surprising. Look at the Mazda 3: you can get a new one with a 6-speed in exactly one model: the Grand Touring hatchback. Want a base model? Auto. Want the new turbo engine? Auto AND all wheel drive. It's very unfortunate.

I will say, a friend bought a 2016 Mazda6 brand new with the 6-speed, and for what it is it's a FUN car. It's got enough oomph, enough creature comforts, and beyond all it has an amazingly slick Mazda shifter and clutch. She had to search a 5 state area to find one, but she loves it to this day.
Turbo cars like auto, though. I don't like the fact Mazda used a log out back.

If he wants a fun toy... dare I suggest:

Chevrolet SS

Now, I'd obviously hold out for a manual, but they're out there. THAT'S the kind of performance car he should be looking for, not a high schooler's boy racer.

I am pretty sure ol' dad would have more fun with that car! Going to be interesting to see what he decides over the next year or so. I plan to have him drive as many different vehicles as he can. At least then he can make a seat of the pants comparison with the available information online.

Reactions: Ws6
Back