WRX after first oil change trace amounts of metal still seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the recommended 1,000 below 4,500 RPM per the dealer. And also brought it in for a free oil change, check up, at 1,000 K. After I drive to work I went out on lunch break to check the oil. I noticed what seemed to be trace amounts of metal on the dipstick. A second reading confirms this. The motor only has 1,010 miles on it. Should I change the oil again in a few days, tmrw, or just wait another 3,000? Thanks!

-Dave

I would change it again. No need to take a chance with this nice a car. I know of one guy on this fourm with a kia with metal in the oil so he did several changes at first. Drain it while it is nice and hot.

That doesn't sound good
frown.gif

Why not check it with a magnet. I would take it to the dealer and hear what he had to say. I would then probasbly change it, unless the dealer did. I would also get the filter and save it. I probably would take a sample and change at say 2K miles (at that time it probably would be a good idea to do an oil analysis-realizing the Iron will be high.) But you can trend it from there. I would also open the filter and check it out (and maybe save it).

But then again I am a fanatic. Stand by for more normal replies.

welcome.gif

I'm old school - visible chunks are not good. Change oil tonight. Use oil as recommended in the manual, take a sample or drain, take a sample while draining and refill in 1000 miles. If chunks are still visible and iron or Al are greater than 100 ppm....use the warranty.

I'm new here but going through a new car/engine break in also.I have much less than 1000 miles on my engine and have changed the oil and filter twice now.I also agree that it's best to remove the metal as quickly as possible.

Being a bit of a gearhead I have built/rebuilt several of my engines and always change the oil frequiently when they are new...It may be abit more costly but I really think it's worth it.

Going through the same sort of new car break-in right now. I was originally going to swap out the factory filter and merely top it off halfway before the first scheduled (free) service ... which is not until the middle of June.
rolleyes.gif

But now I'm going to change the oil at 2,000 miles, get the free dealership service (prolly at around 4,500-5,000), then change the oil again about 2,500 miles later (don't trust the goo out of the dealership bulk tanks).
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back