Wrong PS fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid mistake while working on my 06 Avalon and 06 PT GT at the same time. Drew out PS fluid and put Mobil 1 syn ATF in the PT which requires ATF+4. How much trouble am I in? PT has been run since but not driven. I am disabled and unable to disconnect and remove all fluid.

Can you use the turkey baster method?

I would do this a couple of times. Run the car, remove what you can with a baster then refill.

Originally Posted By: mgm13
Stupid mistake while working on my 06 Avalon and 06 PT GT at the same time. Drew out PS fluid and put Mobil 1 syn ATF in the PT which requires ATF+4. How much trouble am I in? PT has been run since but not driven. I am disabled and unable to disconnect and remove all fluid.

I don't really think you're at risk. The PT absolutely must have ATF+4 for its transmission, and I'm pretty sure that ATF+4 is specified for the PS just because it will work and is a fluid that dealerships already stock in bulk. Its not NEEDED for the PS system the way it is for the tranny.

If you're overly cautious (and I would be) you can suck as much out as possible and re-fill with +4, but since the fluids are fairly similar except for the friction modifiers that are only needed for the torque convertor clutch in the transmission, you should be just fine. No need to get every last drop out.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'd probably just follow up with a couple of turkey-baster fluid changes with ATF+4 when I got around to it.

If its the fairly new "multi-vehicle" M1 it is supposed to be ATF+4 compatible, check the bottle if you still have it.

I tend to be a little on the overly cautious side. I would draw out the PS fluid and replace with the correct fluid.

Its not PSF. He used M1 ATF in place of ATF+4. No slip-control shifts to worry about in a PS system.

It should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back