Wrong Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is way way too thin, especially in a hot Texas summer. I would not run anything thinner than a 40 weight in a Twin Cam.

Now the Harley Davidsons are getting attacked by the thin oil people.
33.gif

Here are my choices for air cooled bikes:

Premium choices:
Crankcase: Regular Red Line 20w-50 / Amsoil Z-Rod 20w-50
Primary: Red Line Primary Oil
Transmission: Red Line Shockproof Heavy

Cheaper:
Crankcase: Valvoline VR1 20w-50
Primary: 15w-40 HDEO
Transmission: 80w-90 GL-5 gear oil

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Does it have a shared sump? Either way probably not thickeenough for the high temperatures of an air cooled engine.

No modern Harley outside the V Rod and the new Street 500 and 750 (all three have the Revolution family of engines) has a shared Engine/Trans sump. The Sportsters share a primary and trans sump, where the big twins have three separate holes to fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: James57
I accidently put 5w-30 oil in my 09 dyna low rider will this harm it?

What oil did you use ? Filter change ? If you changed the filter , just drop the oil . I use Mobil V twin in my superglide , it a great oil . Don't sell Harley oil short either . Just get three QTS and change it out , why take a chance ?
Jake

Originally Posted By: rossn2
How do you accidently dump 4 quarts of 5w-30 oil into an engine that requires 20w-50?????

I would summize we have a new motorcycle owner that didn't read the owner's manual or ask a salesperson or tech what weight & type oil to use...simple mistake; dump the oil & replace with a motorcycle grade 20w-50; filter is optional (if a new filter, then use it and compensate for the oil it holds...refill 1/2 quart less than 'normal' and check level after starting/idling & incimentally add oil until full)

"filter is optional (if a new filter, then use it and compensate for the oil it holds...refill 1/2 quart less than 'normal' and check level after starting/idling & incimentally add oil until full)"

not exactly what I wanted to convey...refill bike with 1/2 quart less than what it takes to fill it; start engine, idle for a few mintues, shut off and let sit a few minutes; meaure amount add 4oz at a time; remeasure; top off (use less than 4 oz if close); repeat until oil is full

A 30wt can not harm your engine because the actual viscosity of moving oil is measured in
centiStokes or cSt. and the viscosity ranges between a 30wt and 50wt weight oil flow rates
can be just 5 cSt apart which means your engine is not within 5 cSt of harm...

Grade 30wt actual viscosity should be between 9.4 to 11.9 centistokes

Grade 40wt actual viscosity should be between 11.9 to 14.8 centistokes

Grade 50wt actual viscosity should be between 17.7 to 20.6 centistokes

Last edited:
Ummm, what? I don't follow the logic. I think that math might be a bit fuzzy.

5w-30 is not appropriate in an air-cooled Harley in Texas summer heat. 20w-50 is called for in your owners manual. Stick with that.

Agreed. You really need 50 weight in a Texas summer. You can get by with 40wt when its colder, but 30wt is too thin for a big twin Harley. That may fly in a liquid cooled Honda, but not in a retro modern piece of engineering like an HD

hmmm... are you just mess'n with us James57 ? ... but if not, how did the engine sound when you ran the 5w30? ...or did you ride it with that oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back