Wrong oil used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a buddy ask me to take a look at his truck (late '90's Nissan 4x4 with KA24E engine) yesterday, his complaint was that the oil light comes on intermittently and the oil is full on the dipstick. He also thinks his gas mileage may be low.

First thing I observed is that the oil was dark black and appeared very viscous, almost too thick, but I thought it might be attributed to the cold. When I ran the truck, it felt very low on power and the oil light would come on at idle.

I asked him when the last time he changed his oil was, and he said about 4 or 5 weeks ago. The oil was much too dark to be that new, so I thought maybe he had excessive blow-by as it's an older truck and he's the type to skip out on maintenance until something breaks.

While I was going from the garage in the house, I spotted two green quart bottles of Quaker State "2-cycle engine oil". That didn't strike me as odd, until later it dawned on me that he lives in an apartment complex and doesn't own any two stroke equipment. I showed him the bottle and asked if that was what he used to change his oil, and sure enough, he had filled the crankcase with 2-stroke oil (and a Fram filter).
shocked2.gif

When I switched the oil out for a normal PCMO (Kendall GT-1 Semi-Syn with "titanium") the oil light still comes on at idle. It didn't do this before the 2-stroke oil fiasco. Any suggestions on what is causing this and/or what can be done to fix this and improve oil pressure?

Other than that the truck still feels underpowered and gets bad gas mileage, about 15mpg. Buddy thinks he got around 21-22 before this happened. No sign of oil burning. Truck has 200k on it, could this just be normal wear?

Main bearings may be toast. Need to know the actually oil pressure to be sure. You did change the filter as well i hope.

Last edited:
Oh, no. Sounds not good.
33.gif

It is time to get your buddy to join BITOG...
02.gif

And to pay attention to what he's using.

He swears up and down the guy at Menards told him that was the oil to use... Now he's on a tangent that he's going to sue them for ruining his engine (not likely), but in reality it's his own stupidity for not carefully reading the bottle.

He probably chose that oil because it was $0.39 cents cheaper than the other stuff; that's just the type of guy he is.

It's amazing the truck has lasted as long as it has... With his maintenance routine (or lack thereof) it is a sure testament to the robustness of that particular engine.

Truck does not have an OP gauge, just an idiot light, so I won't be able to get anything exact-- IIRC the idiot lights illuminate when there's around 5 PSI pressure.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Why would an oil that can protect a 2 stroke @ 10000 rpm kill a 4 stroke? Sure its not the best choice but I doubt if it hurt anything.its basically a 30 wt with a solvent.

what solvent is mixed in there?
I'm being serious. I'd like to know so I can make my own in my backyard
If that's all it is who needs sea foam or mmo,a guy could just mix 2 stroke oil in with the oil and clean internals

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Why would an oil that can protect a 2 stroke @ 10000 rpm kill a 4 stroke? Sure its not the best choice but I doubt if it hurt anything.its basically a 30 wt with a solvent.

If that's all it is who needs sea foam or mmo,a guy could just mix 2 stroke oil in with the oil and clean internals

There is more than just 30 weight and solvent in a 2t oil. But, to answer, if you check the MSDS of the highly regarded Mobil MX2T, it was nearly 25% kerosene.

Interesting.

The oil probably would protect OK at first. Find out the cold flow properties of Quaker State "2-cycle engine oil" after the solvent is gone. Likely if damage occurred this would be the cause, but I'm not convinced....I would do another oil change, with possibly a flush and then check the pressure manually if possible.

Maybe all this "solvent" knocked a bunch of sludge loose and it's now plugging up the oil pickup tube?

When we pulled the oil pan of a minivan a month ago there was a ton of sludge in the bottom of the pan and the oil pickup screen was about clogged. We figured the guy had done a flush recently as the rest of the engine looked very clean.

Maybe the guy should have the pan pulled and check the oil pickup screen and the pan itself and clean it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

its what makes the oil mix and stay mixed with gas.

If this guy is as cheap with his vehicle as you claim, then there could well be other issues causing his poor running and fuel economy issues.

Depending on the time and miles on the 2s oil, it may or may not have damaged the engine. Or the engine could have already been toast due to his poor maintenance regimen. Too many variables right now. Get a real gauge on there and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back